Topics

GPSL Online

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Does anyone have a way to put the presentations online live? I don't know what I can do from NNU yet.

Thanks

Hank Riley

Paul,

I'd suggest you ask Marty Griffin about doing that.  He puts most of the EOSS meetings on streaming video (and audio).  Recently I watched ballloon payload design presentations given by a group of undergrads at The University of Colorado.  That was also done  by EOSS and Marty.

These were all done using the ZOOM service.

I will say that the audio quality provided by the grade of service that Marty uses leaves something to be desired.  From my own experience the EOSS meetings have had acceptable audio; the university presentation most of the time did not.  It might have something to do with my DSL hookup, but I doubt it because a conventional phone hookup (POTS) I tried had the identical, at times unintelligible, audio as the web service delivery.

If something like this could be done for GPSL 2018 with adequate quality it would be tremendous.

If good, close miking could be employed with plain old video recording of the presentations, it would be worthwhile to do that in parallel with live streaming.  The recording should be fairly easy for many of us, but to date the only such comprehensive taping AND universal distribution (by Youtube) of any GPSL I'm aware of took place at GPSL 2016 in Granbury, Texas.

That was made possible by host Michael Willett and the prodigious effort of Mark Conner to actually run the camera for every session, cull and edit the videos, and post the results.

As Mark and I expected, without close miking of any of the presenters the audio was far from optimum.  If it would help this year, I would be happy to lend GPSL my wireless "lavalier" mike system which is far from pro grade, but has been used for local ham presentations with very good results.  Much better than using any built in mikes on a camera located six or more feet away from the presenter.  Ideally at least two wireless mikes can be employed with a mixer (or switcher at a minimum) for the best results (one handheld mike dedicated for questions; or a second lavalier mike for the transition to the next speaker; all three would be super).  Ideally such a mixer feed could be employed to feed a live stream as well.

The big advantage of a recording (as opposed to live streaming) is that the quality can be much better and "recipients" need not be around on a PC to get the live stream while it's happening.  I can't imagine anyone watching even the highest grade of streaming for hours straight all day long anyway.  However the same video on a DVD, or on Youtube or similar web based service, could be watched in segments at one's convenience very nicely.

I have found several archived video tapings of ham events (regional or national conferences) where the audio and video were done perfectly, so it can as has been done successfully.  It does require some planning and execution and pretty much is too much for the GPSL host to do by himself.

I would be willing to assist anyone with guidance who might want to undertake this kind of task for Paul and I think Mark would also.  Too bad Mark is not able to attend this year.

Hank in Massachusetts

Does anyone have a way to put the presentations online live? I don't know what I can do from NNU yet.

Mark Conner N9XTN

You may be able to do this via Periscope on Twitter (which is what I did yesterday), and YouTube has a "live" function (which I've never explored).

Video quality may be limited by connection speed.  Mine were pretty blocky even with 4G coverage, certainly worse than what you'd record to SD card.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 10:33 PM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
Does anyone have a way to put the presentations online live? I don't know what I can do from NNU yet.

Thanks

Zack Clobes W0ZC

I think YouTube would be a good solution, although like Mark, I've never tried it myself.

Audio and the Slide Deck are often the limiting factors when doing live stuff like this.  It almost takes a full time person and a sound board to make this happen.

Zack

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
You may be able to do this via Periscope on Twitter (which is what I did yesterday), and YouTube has a "live" function (which I've never explored).

Video quality may be limited by connection speed.  Mine were pretty blocky even with 4G coverage, certainly worse than what you'd record to SD card.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 10:33 PM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
Does anyone have a way to put the presentations online live? I don't know what I can do from NNU yet.

Thanks

Mark Conner N9XTN

Is anyone going to take a whack at livestreaming?  I imagine Paul may be hard pressed to do this and play master of ceremonies the same day.  Anyone else with a YouTube channel could do it, but it should probably be publicized ahead of time so those not onsite know where to look.  You will need to go through an account verification and desktop setup process if you haven't done it already - see https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2474026?hl=en.

Even a laptop with the camera pointed at the screen would be better than going dark for the day.  If it can't be done live, the next best is to have someone record it and upload the video after.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 2:32 PM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes please, can someone please take up this issue? I meant to ask about that and have managed to forget. Thanks

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018, 12:05 PM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael West W5MAW

Hey Paul,

I'll provide a computer, webcam, and run the stream. YouTube will record it and I'll publish it after.

Let me know any information you know about the audio setup at the location.

--
Michael West W5MAW

[...]

There is a wireless Mic and speakers in the room.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018, 9:05 PM Michael West W5MAW <groups.io@...> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Londrigan

I'm in the process of setting up the EOSS youtube channel for live streaming.  This is the first time I've done this, so I will have to test it out.  It would be good if someone has a good webcam and microphone to bring it since I don't have a good set up.
 I'm not sure if you need to be a subscriber.  The EOSS channel is here:

Please let me know if anyone has problems accessing the link.

Tom Londrigan

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 4:32 AM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
[...]

Ok, I have obtained a webcam with a good microphone and have been able to try out the live stream (with just one subscriber).  I've got a short tripod, so it may need to set on a table.

I think we can do this, but may depend on our wifi link quality at the presentation site.  I think it would be best if those that would like to view subscribe to the EOSS channel.  If you do, I think it will send out notifications when the stream goes live, and if you are on you tube and logged in on a google account, you can chat with us to give feedback.  If you don't subscribe, I think we will have to share the stream URL each time.

As I said, this is my first time live-streaming so there may be growing pains.  I'm open to scheduling a test session if anyone has suggestions.

Tom Londrigan
KE7KCK
EOSS president

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Thomas Londrigan <lawndragon@...> wrote:
[...]

Ed Vignati

I subscribed and waiting anxiously!

Eddie - kj4fgi

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 7:01 PM, Thomas Londrigan <lawndragon@...> wrote:
[...]

That's early.
;)
I hope we don't disappoint.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 5:39 PM Ed Vignati <kj4fgi@...> wrote:
[...]

better to be early and miss nothing than to be late an miss all 🤔

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 8:39 PM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
That's early.
;)
[...]

The conference room has a wireless mic. Anything specific you need me to find out?

Thanks

[...]

Here's a background image you can use for the live stream.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018, 5:01 PM Thomas Londrigan <lawndragon@...> wrote:
[...]

Do you think you can get him sent to jail like you did at GPSL 2002?

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
[...]

That was a good one.

For anyone not in the know, I released a Mr. Potato Head on a parachute back in 2002. He parachuted into farmland and was recovered by the owner. The owner then turned him over to the sheriff because he didn't know what was going on. My contact information was on the on Mr. Potato Head and the sheriff contacted me to find out what was going on. After I explained the situation to him they they returned three pictures to me. The first was Mr. Potatohead getting his mugshot, the second getting a breathalyzer test, and the third behind bars.

That was a great event, but I don't know if I have the pictures anymore.

On Jun 13, 2018 7:55 AM, "Mark Conner N9XTN" <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

I looked in the KNSP and TVNSP e-mail archive but the pictures weren't attached.

Here are some photos from launch day for GPSL 2002 (Herington, KS).

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 9:58 AM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
[...]

We don't have any audio.  Video looks great, but no sound.

Zack

Tom Londrigan