From: Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...>
To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Fri, May 22, 2020 4:12 pm
Subject: [GPSL] GPSL 2020 update

Thanks to everyone who has offered to support our virtual GPSL in some fashion.  It looks like we have a few solutions for Google Meet or Zoom that if they pan out, we can have 100+ logged in and won't have to pay for it.  We will record the sessions and upload them to YouTube afterwards.  We'll also work to make original materials (PowerPoint and video files) available for download so you can see them in their best quality.

Our start/end time on Friday will be dictated by the number of presentations we have.  The lunch hour could be open-mike time, where people can ask questions or chat while they eat.  We'll push either end of the schedule towards the middle of the day so than neither coast is unduly inconvenienced for the start/end time.

I'm thinking about setting a 1400Z launch time for Saturday - that would be 10am ET, 9am CT, 8am MT, and 7am PT/Arizona.  I don't know if we'll have any participants in the Pacific time zone - if not, we could make it an hour earlier.   We probably don't want to go much later for our Eastern Time participants.  Anyone planning to fly a balloon for this, please chime in with your considerations.

As always, suggestions for how to make this a great virtual GPSL are welcome.

Zack Clobes W0ZC

One other thought I had this afternoon is the virtual conferences that I've been doing through work lately have the main presentation pre recorded, then they just broadcast that at the prescribed time, and have a short live Q&A at the end.

It really makes for an efficient presentation because it gives the presenters a chance to proofread and edit their product, AND it eliminates the situation where the presenters internet turns South.

I'm not sure what software they're using but it's not the normal WebEx/Zoom/Skype/Teams.  It's something else designed specifically for this. I can ask if it's if interest.

Zack

Zack

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 5:16 PM Bill Brown via groups.io <wb8elk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mark,

  That sounds great.  There is a way to have Zoom meetings do a recording and upload to YouTube. W5KUB does this for his weekly online program. He was using Skype but has recently converted to Zoom and it is working great.

[...]

Harry M

Edited

I need some help. The Zoom Website is a bit confusing. I'm not sure what I need to do.
Do I download the Zoom Client or the Free Basic Personal Meeting or...?
Do I need to create an account?

Mark Conner N9XTN

Harry,

I believe all you will need is the Zoom client.  You'll also be given the option to download it when you get the meeting URL (it's not all that large of a download).  An account is not necessary to join others' Zoom meetings.

I also believe Zoom can be used purely in a browser window, with some reduced functionality, but I've always used the client for any Zoom meetings hosted by others.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:22 PM Harry M <hhm_74115@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I need some help. The Zoom Website is a bit confusing. I'm not sure what I need to do.
Do I download the Zoom Client or the Free Basic Personal Meeting or...?
Do I need to create an account?

Harry M

Edited

Thanks Mark!

James Ewen VE6SRV

It might be useful to run a test meeting one evening so people can try connecting in before the actual day of the event.

James

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 9:36 PM Harry M <hhm_74115@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks Mark!

--
James
VE6SRV

Harry M

I agree, I was just having the same thought!