Topics

GPSL 2020 dates

Mark Conner N9XTN

Prospective GPSL 2020 attendees,

I'm starting to contact local venue providers on a GPSL 2020 location.  I have received a favorable response from University of Nebraska-Omaha and we may be able to use one of their auditoriums for the Friday sessions.  This would be the same location as the 2005 GPSL sessions for those of you who attended that year.

As mentioned previously, the usual Fathers' Day weekend date is not feasible for the Omaha area due to the College World Series.  The two alternatives that would work best are:
  • June 25-27, 2020
  • July 9-11, 2020
If your group has a strong preference for one of those dates, let me know either on or off-list by Friday, August 16th.  I would like to set a date with UNO before the end of the month so that we get the auditorium reserved.

73 de Mark N9XTN

Jeff Ducklow

Hi Mark -

Thank you for your efforts in organizing this.  I have not been able to attend since 2015 due to family commitments on father’s day weekend, so I’m looking forward to attending my second GPSL.

My preference would be the June 25-27th date.

Thank you,

Jeff Ducklow
N0NQN

On Aug 6, 2019, at 10:27 AM, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:

Prospective GPSL 2020 attendees,

I'm starting to contact local venue providers on a GPSL 2020 location.  I have received a favorable response from University of Nebraska-Omaha and we may be able to use one of their auditoriums for the Friday sessions.  This would be the same location as the 2005 GPSL sessions for those of you who attended that year.

As mentioned previously, the usual Fathers' Day weekend date is not feasible for the Omaha area due to the College World Series.  The two alternatives that would work best are:
  • June 25-27, 2020
  • July 9-11, 2020
If your group has a strong preference for one of those dates, let me know either on or off-list by Friday, August 16th.  I would like to set a date with UNO before the end of the month so that we get the auditorium reserved.

Zack W0ZC reminded me that the June 25-27 date is also Field Day weekend, so please consider that in your planning.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 10:27 AM Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:
Prospective GPSL 2020 attendees,

I'm starting to contact local venue providers on a GPSL 2020 location.  I have received a favorable response from University of Nebraska-Omaha and we may be able to use one of their auditoriums for the Friday sessions.  This would be the same location as the 2005 GPSL sessions for those of you who attended that year.

As mentioned previously, the usual Fathers' Day weekend date is not feasible for the Omaha area due to the College World Series.  The two alternatives that would work best are:
  • June 25-27, 2020
  • July 9-11, 2020
If your group has a strong preference for one of those dates, let me know either on or off-list by Friday, August 16th.  I would like to set a date with UNO before the end of the month so that we get the auditorium reserved.

Either day will work for me. Thanks

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 9:27 AM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@... wrote:
Prospective GPSL 2020 attendees,

I'm starting to contact local venue providers on a GPSL 2020 location.  I have received a favorable response from University of Nebraska-Omaha and we may be able to use one of their auditoriums for the Friday sessions.  This would be the same location as the 2005 GPSL sessions for those of you who attended that year.

As mentioned previously, the usual Fathers' Day weekend date is not feasible for the Omaha area due to the College World Series.  The two alternatives that would work best are:
  • June 25-27, 2020
  • July 9-11, 2020
If your group has a strong preference for one of those dates, let me know either on or off-list by Friday, August 16th.  I would like to set a date with UNO before the end of the month so that we get the auditorium reserved.

73 de Mark N9XTN

Nick

Hi Mark,

The June 25-27 date is good with EOSS.

73,

Nick

NØLP

I'm starting to contact local venue providers on a GPSL 2020 location.  I have received a favorable response from University of Nebraska-Omaha and we may be able to use one of their auditoriums for the Friday sessions.  This would be the same location as the 2005 GPSL sessions for those of you who attended that year.

As mentioned previously, the usual Fathers' Day weekend date is not feasible for the Omaha area due to the College World Series.  The two alternatives that would work best are:

  • June 25-27, 2020
  • July 9-11, 2020

If your group has a strong preference for one of those dates, let me know either on or off-list by Friday, August 16th.  I would like to set a date with UNO before the end of the month so that we get the auditorium reserved.

Either date works for me. If Field Day weekend is chosen maybe we can get a special FD credit arranged for FD balloon contacts through crossband or simplex repeaters or copying a special CW or digital message sent from a balloon.

-Bill WB8ELK

[...]

Not having worked Field Day in years, I had to go look to see what time it starts - 1800Z on Saturday.

So far, most everyone either prefers the June date or has no preference.  June corn is shorter.  :)

- Mark

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 1:32 PM Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Keith Kaiser, WA0̷TJT

Field Day is NOT a good choice for GPSL!

Please, please, please NOT, NOT NOT Field Day.

Keith, WA0̷TJT

Derek Sigler

I get that.  But you can't really get a better promotion for field day than what we do.  Might be a great opportunity for GPSL.

On Thursday, August 8, 2019, 08:33:13 AM CDT, Keith Kaiser, WA0̷TJT <wa0tjt@...> wrote:

Field Day is NOT a good choice for GPSL!

Please, please, please NOT, NOT NOT Field Day.

Keith, WA0̷TJT

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I'm thinking the promotional aspect would be great also. I would love to see FD points awarded for contacts.

So far it doesn't seem that holding on FD would lower attendance?

Of course, this could be a trial to see what would happen when GPSL is held on FD.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, 9:15 AM Derek Sigler via Groups.Io <dereksigler=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
I get that.  But you can't really get a better promotion for field day than what we do.  Might be a great opportunity for GPSL.

On Thursday, August 8, 2019, 08:33:13 AM CDT, Keith Kaiser, WA0̷TJT <wa0tjt@...> wrote:

Field Day is NOT a good choice for GPSL!

Please, please, please NOT, NOT NOT Field Day.

Keith, WA0̷TJT

Michael Hojnowski

Unless we do a launch later in the day, or defer to Sunday, the payloads will be back on the ground by the time FD officially starts.   I do like the idea of an x-band repeater or something to give folks a chance to make some VHF/UHF contacts, just for giggles.  That said, it would probably get swamped to the point of unusability for the duration of the flight anyway.

In general, "shorter corn" is a good motivator for me.  I don't really participate in Field Day anyway.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 8/8/2019 11:29 AM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH wrote:
I'm thinking the promotional aspect would be great also. I would love to see FD points awarded for contacts.

So far it doesn't seem that holding on FD would lower attendance?

Of course, this could be a trial to see what would happen when GPSL is held on FD.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, 9:15 AM Derek Sigler via Groups.Io <dereksigler=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
I get that.  But you can't really get a better promotion for field day than what we do.  Might be a great opportunity for GPSL.

On Thursday, August 8, 2019, 08:33:13 AM CDT, Keith Kaiser, WA0̷TJT <wa0tjt@...> wrote:

Field Day is NOT a good choice for GPSL!

Please, please, please NOT, NOT NOT Field Day.

Keith, WA0̷TJT

Mark Conner N9XTN

We could do some PR in the region for FD hams to make some "fun" contacts via any crossband or simplex repeaters being flown while they are setting up.  I have doubts that the ARRL would be interested in any formal FD rules modifications for our event, but I suppose it's possible.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 10:50 AM Michael Hojnowski <kd2eat@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for the feedback provided so far.  It appears either weekend will work for the UNO venue.  If we do it in July, we will be concurrent with a K-12 HAB forum UNO is planning, but that will not interfere with us - they can support both.

If you are considering attending GPSL 2020 but have not expressed a preference, please let me know either on or off-list.  Also let me know if that if you do have a preference, whether you can or can't come on the alternate date.  Most of you who have sent preferences have done this, and I'll follow up if you didn't.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 1:16 PM Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

Garrett, Mark

Mark:

I plan on attending GPSL 2020, enjoy the event and not that long of a drive for me.
I would agree that having it Field Day weekend would not be ideal.   We would need to alter the time of launch till Saturday afternoon for it to have been effective to generate contacts for contest and the range of that kind of participation would only be in a 200 mile distance or less as most Field Day  utilize temporary antennas at an elevation they can safely erect.  Best left for contest groups to launch balloons in their regions that have that capability.  My vote would be the sooner the better in holding the event as the corn will get taller the humidity and bugs will increase later in July but if the event is later it won't affect my plans not to attend.

Mark
KA9SZX

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:45 AM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio

Bill Brown

Mark. Although i can attend either date my strong preference is for the July date due to FD conflicts.  I try to launch a balloon from local FD clubs each year. -Bill WB8ELK

On Aug 9, 2019, at 10:44 AM, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it would be a plus to be concurrent with the K-12 UNO event in July.  I do a lot of outreach flights with K-12 students lately concentrating on 5th and 6th grades. I would welcome K-12 educators and students to attend our talks and Superlaunch on Saturday. Perhaps you can arrange some joint sessions with them on Both thurs and friday and i think many of us would love to fly some K-12 experiments. -Bill WB8ELK

[...]

BASE_DePauw

I agree with Bill about cooperating with the school HAB program.  Nebraska has a very active program through Michael Sibbernsen and NASA Space Grant Nebraska.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:52 PM Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Howard L. Brooks
Professor of Physics and Astronomy
241 Julian Science and Mathematics Center
DePauw University
2 E. Hanna Street
Greencastle, IN 46135
hlbrooks@...
Office: (765) 658-4653
FAX: (765) 658-4732

Mark Conner N9XTN

I'm working through him and his wife Kendra for the UNO portion of GPSL 2020.  Paul and I had a great launch with them at the Nebraska Star Party last year.

- Mark