Topics

GPSL 2018

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Here's an update and questions.

Thursday starts with three stops in the Snake River Wine Region, http://www.winesnw.com/sna.html. This is a AVA recognized wine region where tastings are only $5. We will stop at Parma Ridge, Williamson's, and Koenig's. Parma Ridge will be first and will have a lunch buffet for us (so we'll start there at 11:30). Now we need to spend at least $300 for them to be opened on Thursday. The $5 tasting fee, lunch, and any wine purchases count towards the $300. So I need to know how many people plan to attend and if you think you might buy wine (the wine here is every bit as good as Napa Valley, but not as expensive).

For safety, we will hire a profession touring company to drive us around. We can save money if we can get some designated drivers instead. I will be one, but I can only carry an additional two people. Can other people commit to being designated drivers?

If we hire a driver, we will leave from a local hotel in Nampa.

We are planning dinner in the Basque block of Boise. This will involve about a 30 minute drive. We'll schedule dinner for about 7:00 PM so people can recover from wine tasting and drive safely. It would be helpful to have drivers so we can cut down on the number of cars. Please let me know a head count for people going out to dinner and number of cars.

Friday we'll meet at Jackson Lecture Hall at Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa. Parking in campus is free. We have the lecture hall, room 138 from 8 to 5. So we'll start at 9 am. Some breakfast items will be provided. Lunch will be catered. I was thinking of using one of the following, Subway, Panera, Chipolte, or Qdoba. Are there any strong feelings either way? I will also take other recommendations.

Dinner will be at a local Mexican restaurant, so that may effect your feeling about lunch. The restaurant is Chapala's and it's in Nampa on Nampa-Caldwell Blvd.

Can I get a head count for Friday?

My local welding supplier is Norco. They charge about $70 for a T tank of hydrogen (I'll get the exact price later this week). They will deliver gas on Friday, but not Saturday. So I need to know where we'll launch. I will make predictions the week of GPSL and finalize a launch site. Can I get someone to help commit to also running official predictions? This being mountainous Idaho, we may need to travel an hour to the launch site and Norco won't deliver if the site is remote. Please let me know if you can bring a truck and help move gas. We'll drop off the empty ranks at my house where Norco will pick them up. If we're lucky, we'll be able to launch from my two acres. In which case, we won't need to carry our own gas.

So I also need to know how many tanks I need to reserve.

Okay, I think that's it for now. Thanks for
reading.

Jerry

Paul,

My wife (Beth) and I will be there Thursday.  I can be a designated driver and take 2 besides ourselves.  Beyond lunch and Beth doing some tasting I doubt we will buy any wine.

I can also run predictions for the week if you want.

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com