Topics

Fw: Big balloon

Jack Crabtree

------ Forwarded Message --------
Date: 10/3/2017 12:09:17 PM
Subject: Fw: Big balloon
To: Jack Crabtree

Here are a couple of pics that John took of a balloon that was flying in his area yesterday.  He wanted you to see it.  He took the pics through his new telescope using the phone camera up against the eyepiece.  I see similarity of the payload with the "WorldView" payload in this link  World View Enterprises   Scroll down a little on the web page.   See ya this afternoon... Gary

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: Gary Miller
Sent: Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 11:49:36 AM MST
Subject: Big balloon

I found a couple shots with more detail, I don"t have Jack's email...could you forward them to him please?

Joe WB9SBD

Looks like earthwinds and my earth breeze technology!

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 10/3/2017 5:30 PM, 'Jack Crabtree' jscra@... [GPSL] wrote:

To: Jack Crabtree

Here are a couple of pics that John took of a balloon that was flying in his area yesterday.  He wanted you to see it.  He took the pics through his new telescope using the phone camera up against the eyepiece.  I see similarity of the payload with the "WorldView" payload in this link  World View Enterprises   Scroll down a little on the web page.   See ya this afternoon... Gary

To: Gary Miller

I found a couple shots with more detail, I don"t have Jack's email...could you forward them to him please?

Bill Brown

Nice photos. That sure looks like the latest WorldView launch which was in the news Tuesday. It was launched from their new headquarters in Tucson, AZ.

- Bill WB8ELK

-----Original Message-----
To: GPSL
Sent: Tue, Oct 3, 2017 5:30 pm
Subject: [GPSL] Fw: Big balloon

To: Jack Crabtree <jscra@...>

To: Gary Miller <gmiller@...>

Hank Riley

Entire article and a video clip at :

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/world-view-sends-stratollite-test-balloon-spaceport-tucson-first-time/

World View launches ‘Stratollite’ balloon from Spaceport Tucson for the first time

by Alan Boyle on October 1, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Balloon launchA high-altitude balloon is inflated in preparation for World View’s launch from Spaceport Tucson in Arizona. (World View Photo)

World View Enterprises today executed its first balloon liftoff from Spaceport Tucson, the Arizona facility that it expects will be the home base for satellite-like “Stratollite” missions to the stratosphere — and, eventually, tourist flights as well.

“Spaceport Tucson, the first-ever purpose-built stratospheric launch facility in the world, is now open for business,” World View co-founder and CEO Jane Poynter said in a news release.

World View operates the facility on behalf of Arizona’s Pima County, which built the headquarters and production building as well as a 700-foot-wide circular balloon launch pad under the terms of a $15 million deal struck in 2016. That deal has been the subject of legal wrangling for more than a year.

Poynter said the Federal Aviation Administration recently issued a Certificate of Authorization to World View for balloon launches, opening the way for today’s inaugural test.

The test’s primary objective was to rehearse mission control protocols for future flights from Spaceport Tucson, located south of Tucson International Airport.

Hank Riley

Telescope technical details (from the photographer, John, AF7JQ):

"Scope is a Meade LX90-ACF 12", eyepiece a 24mm plossel, I think about 77x at f:10"

That 12 inch measurement is the aperture.  This is not an inexpensive telescope.
Pretty close on the power; it's actually 83x.

Hank