Topics

Four HiBalls over AZ

Hank Riley

Jack,

You sent to the old, deprecated but still running Yahoogroup list.  I think you meant to post to the new GPSL at GPSL@groups.io.

https://groups.io/g/GPSL

There are actually five balloons flying in total and they all belong to Loon, an Alphabet (Google) subsidiary attempting to bring internet service to residents of sparsely populated regions of the US.

Hank

On Saturday, June 20, 2020, 11:30:12 AM EDT, 'Jack Crabtree' jscra@... [GPSL] <gpsl-noreply@...> wrote:

Using ADS-B with my SDR, I am tracking 4 high altitude balloons, HBAL 193, 194, 202, 204 over Arizona. They are all floating at about 57K feet drifting at 8-10 kts. I verified they can be seen at the AirNav Radar Box website. I am assuming they are part of the WorldView balloon test program.  A couple of the balloons are near Wickenburg, AZ while the most northern balloon is near Wikeup, AZ.

Jack Crabtree, W7JLC

Hank Riley

Correction:  Six Loon flights in three clusters at 1100 UTC, June 21.

From south to north, 189, 191 in cluster 1; Gulf of California, Mexico

202,204, and 194 in cluster 2; Gulf of California, Mexico

193 far north west and a little north of Tucson, AZ.

Jack Crabtree

TToday I am seeing 5 HBALs over Mexico on the ADS-B Radar Box feed. The other 4 HBALs I was able to track went south into Mexico as well and drifted off to the east. The 5 I see over Baja are at 50-53K feet.

Jack

On 6/21/2020 4:05:40 AM, Hank Riley <n1ltv@...> wrote:

Correction:  Six Loon flights in three clusters at 1100 UTC, June 21.

From south to north, 189, 191 in cluster 1; Gulf of California, Mexico