Topics

Forecast update

Mark Conner <n9xtn@...>

Regardless of the winds, it should be hot and humid next weekend (highs
in the 90s, dew points in the high 60s). The default ascent/descent
profile I use (1000 fpm up/95kft burst/1000 fpm sea-level descent) has
moved the landing to 337 at 16 miles. From the Manhattan site, that
puts it down in the north part of the Fort Riley cantonment.

If we use the Herington airport, the landing is in a rural area about
10-12 miles SW of Junction City. The airport's coordinates are
38.7018 N and 96.8150 W (in decimal degrees). Most any permutation of
fast/slow/high-burst/low-burst gives favorable landing areas.

I've attached the forecast wind profile for those who'd like to run
predictions themselves.

- Mark

*1200Z 06 07 2002 ,UNK,Intact ,0 ,0 ,12 ,12
2641,173,13
5049,186,15
10443,175,11
19393,184,11
25030,198,13
31939,213,13
36093,243,11
40942,271,11
46864,285,6
54869,113,6
68638,88,15
87753,88,23

Bill Brown

Hi Mark,

It's been my experience that during July and August when there are light
winds in the jet stream region, the stratospheric winds will prevail and
depending on how high the balloons go, quite often you'll end up WEST of the
launch site.....unless there is a front coming through, this very well might
be the case for the launch.

73s de Bill WB8ELK