Topics

EOSS Launches ADS-B Kickstarter Campaign

Marty Griffin

Hello EOSS Friends,

Today Edge of Space Sciences (EOSS) has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to implement Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) for high altitude balloon flights.  See it here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206401145/expanding-near-space-balloon-research-implementing

EOSS and University of Colorado students plan to launch two high-altitude balloons with high-definition cameras and scientific equipment to directly coincide with the Total Solar Eclipse that will occur on Monday, August 21, 2017. These research flights will be launched from Guernsey, Wyoming - directly under the eclipse path to assure flight in the area of eclipse totality.

This project will fund implementation of new FAA aircraft location technology (ADS-B) which will allow additional payload space on each balloon flight. This expanded capability, to be shared with all balloon groups, will enable more university and STEM students to send more research experiments to near space.

Goal #1: Successful Eclipse Balloon Mission

Our first goal during these balloon flights is to collect and stream live images, video and data to study this extremely rare event. These flights are in coordination with NASA's Space Grant Ballooning Project on behalf of the Colorado Space Grant Consortium.  This is an opportunity to educate our schools and community about the natural world of science.  This part of the project will be funded entirely by NASA.  These successful flights will enable us to pursue Goal # 2.

Goal #2:  Expand student participation by implementing new FAA location technology

Based on the success of Goal #1, our second goal is our Kickstarter project goal.  That is to raise funds to support expanded high altitude balloon student research.  Expansion will be enabled by implementing new FAA-certified flight location technology called Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) on our high altitude balloons where previously it has been focused only on aircraft.

This project will integrate commercially available products only and package a solution to accommodate the rigors of near space flight.

The FAA currently restricts balloon payload weights, and restricts our ability to fly through clouds which severely limits the number of students that can participate in a flight.  We believe balloon-based ADS-B location technology will allow all balloon groups to serve more students throughout the nation.

The Kickstarter page can be found here:

Pledge what you feel is appropriate so we can reach our $14,000 funding goal.  Kickstarter is an “all-or-nothing campaign”.  No proceeds are collected or distributed until the goal is reached or exceeded.  We have 30 days, so now is the time to make your pledges and reap the rewards defined on the Rewards section of the Web page.

Spread the Word!

This works only if we spread the word.  Please advise you Facebook friends, tweet your friends and associates, add this post prominently to your Web sites at home and at work.  Also, if you have media contacts, please contact them and feel free contact me for any questions and issues.  Please share this project with others who may have an interest in advancing this technology and serving even more students.

Contact me for any questions or for additional information.

Marty Griffin, WAØGEH, Edge of Space Sciences

WAØGEH@...

303-378-3900