Topics

EOSS airborne at GPSL 2018

Mark Conner N9XTN

There are two launch sites for today's event I believe.  EOSS is launching from Homedale and the rest from near the ID/OR border on US95 southwest of Boise.

The area around Boise has a relatively narrow "safe" landing zone, and different flight profiles may require different launch sites to avoid landing in largely inaccessible terrain to northeast and southwest.

73 de Mark N9XTN

image.png

Mark Conner N9XTN

Current situation.  I had expected EOSS would cut down early, but they haven't and are well into the mountains northeast of Boise.  I think the southern group will land near/northwest of Cleft, which is flat and has farm "roads" for access.

image.png

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 9:57 AM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
There are two launch sites for today's event I believe.  EOSS is launching from Homedale and the rest from near the ID/OR border on US95 southwest of Boise.

The area around Boise has a relatively narrow "safe" landing zone, and different flight profiles may require different launch sites to avoid landing in largely inaccessible terrain to northeast and southwest.

73 de Mark N9XTN

image.png

Zack Clobes W0ZC

I'm getting a bit worried about EOSS..  That's looking like a rough recovery.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:07 AM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
Current situation.  I had expected EOSS would cut down early, but they haven't and are well into the mountains northeast of Boise.  I think the southern group will land near/northwest of Cleft, which is flat and has farm "roads" for access.

image.png

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 9:57 AM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
There are two launch sites for today's event I believe.  EOSS is launching from Homedale and the rest from near the ID/OR border on US95 southwest of Boise.

The area around Boise has a relatively narrow "safe" landing zone, and different flight profiles may require different launch sites to avoid landing in largely inaccessible terrain to northeast and southwest.

73 de Mark N9XTN

image.png

Mark Conner N9XTN

Yeah.  They might get lucky and land in the valley near Hwy 21, but otherwise it'll be an expedition.

The other balloons appear to have landed or will land in decent spots.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael

They are infringing on my trademark under fill / last one back scenario.

--Michael Willett

On Jun 16, 2018, at 12:50 PM, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:

[...]

I had one years ago that had an initial ascent rate of 70 ft/min.  Now I overfill.  Gas in the bottle and runway behind you are useless. :)

I assume you're with the crew picking up Pete's balloon?  Let us know when you find it.

- Mark

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM Michael <mw@...> wrote:
[...]

Family priorities got in the way, I couldn’t make it this year. I’m arm chair watching via APRS.fi while in College Station TX. It’s been a good GPSL - I do wish I was there!

--Michael Willett

On Jun 16, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:

[...]

I saw W5MAW chasing and thought that was you, figuring MAW were your initials.

- Mark