Topics

EOSS

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Just got a call, EOSS just got back and is having dinner. They had to retrieve their payload from near Lowman on highway 21.

They're all safe and sound. And probably hungry.

We should be getting more info soon.

Mark Conner N9XTN

Glad they got it back!

- Mark

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:35 PM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
Just got a call, EOSS just got back and is having dinner. They had to retrieve their payload from near Lowman on highway 21.

They're all safe and sound. And probably hungry.

We should be getting more info soon.

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I don't know how we could have helped them. They were a few hours away from us when we got back and out of phone range. We received no messages, so we were in the dark.

We may want to hold every future GPSL out of mountainous locations. Good to hear they got back, I was expecting them to leave without a payload.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 10:45 PM Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
Glad they got it back!

- Mark

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:35 PM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
Just got a call, EOSS just got back and is having dinner. They had to retrieve their payload from near Lowman on highway 21.

They're all safe and sound. And probably hungry.

We should be getting more info soon.

Jim Biggerstaff N0TKN

Seems to me, since many of you have amateur radio licenses, amateur radio would be a great way to stay in contact when those darn cell phones fail  :)
73,  Jim   N0TKN

Thomas Londrigan

EOSS recovered our payloads at N 44 05.72 W 115 30.21, altitude approximately 5800ft.  Hands on the payload was at 1910 hours.  Once we realized we had a slow ascent rate,we drove up highway 21 to Idaho City.  We were able to receive transmissions after the beacons were on the ground from highway 21 east of Lowman.

It was approximately 0.8 miles from hwy 21 and 1.3 miles from lick creek road, and 1800 ft above the highway. We had downloaded the Boise National forest maps prior to leaving Boise.  A 3.5 mile hike up Kirkham trail and a climb up over a 300ft ridge were required to reach the payload.

The entire team had good comms on simplex.  While in Boise we had good comms on the 444.900 repeater, and a local ham provided info on the 145.310 repeater which provided coverage around lowman.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018, 8:41 PM jcbiggerstaff <jim.biggerstaff@...> wrote:
Seems to me, since many of you have amateur radio licenses, amateur radio would be a great way to stay in contact when those darn cell phones fail  :)
73,  Jim   N0TKN

Thomas Londrigan

Attached is a photo from the adjacent ridge near lick creek road.  Kirkham trail is visible below the ridge, the payload was over the ridge.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018, 8:19 PM Lawndragon Ulysses <lawndragon@...> wrote:
[...]

James Ewen VE6SRV

That looks like it could have been a fun adventure... it's not often
that one can say that they trekked up to the headwaters of Whangdoodle
Creek to recover their Near-Space payload.

It looks like that two wheeled track along the ridge was big enough
for a vehicle... was that the case?

It always looks easy on Google Earth to get to places on these ridges
in the US... there are always tracks all over the place!

James
VE6SRV

wrote:

Seems to me, since many of you have amateur radio licenses, amateur radio
would be a great way to stay in contact when those darn cell phones fail :)
73, Jim N0TKN

Thomas Londrigan

The trail was restricted to small ATVs and motorcycles.  Large gate at the top and barriers at the bottom.