Topics

Eclipse Consideration

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Is everyone launching a balloon taking into consideration that the moon's shadow is approaching the surface at an angle with respect to the surface?

From where I'm launching, the sun will be at an angle of 45 degrees. Habhub shows the flight track of the balloon projected straight down. If the balloon is just south of the eclipse track, the balloon will still inside the eclipse shadow. In my case, if the balloon is at 60,000 feet (close to 12 miles), the location of the balloon with respect to the eclipse track is actually 12 miles farther north than what habhub shows.

So anyone wanting to see the maximum amount of eclipse time, they need to launch north of the center of the eclipse line. Then plan to cross south of the mid-eclipse line at a distance that depends on the sun's elevation and the balloon's altitude at totality.