Topics

BASE 106 completed

BASE_DePauw

Friends,

Flew BASE 106 for the Greencastle Middle School today.  Surface winds picked up to just over 30 km/hr (20 mph) with gusts to 40 km/hr during balloon fill, but we got the flight string airborne.  Somewhat early burst at 26 km (85,500 feet).  Landed in edge of a grove of trees with lowest box 6 meters (20 feet) above the ground.  Easy pull for the Wonder Pole with hook attachment.

One disappointment, my Contour ROAM 3 camera has reached the end of its life with no easy battery replacement.  I am open to small camera suggestions.  Flying for Thorpe Creek Elementary in Fishers, IN on 16 May.  Looking to find a new camera before that flight.  I like cameras that take video to microSD cards, but could be persuaded to try something else.  It would be nice to stay under 200 grams total weight.

Thanks, as always, for the support,
Howard, BASE_DePauw, KC9QBN

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Apeman A60 is a good camera as us the Mobius ActionCam .

On May 2, 2018 3:17 PM, "BASE_DePauw" <hlbrooks@...> wrote:
[...]

David Akerman

I like the Gitup Git2; inexpensive, reliable (unlike some GoPros) and very good image quality.  It'll need attaching to a 5V powerbank to last throughout  HAB flight.  Usefully, it can be set to power up and start recording when the powerbank is switched on.

Dave

On 2 May 2018 at 22:12, BASE_DePauw <hlbrooks@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark Conner N9XTN

Dave,

Do you have some examples from the Git2 posted somewhere?  Always interested in "cheaper than GoPro" alternatives.

I have a couple of really cheap GoClones that I've used - video quality is decent, but not as good as a GoPro.  I'm also looking for something that will take still shots at intervals too, and the Git2 might fit that bill.

Thanks for the tip about these cameras.  I just looked on Amazon and they're about $109.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:25 PM, David Akerman <dave@...> wrote:
[...]

tony everhardt

Not sure if this is any interest but I was just looking at these today. They are cheap and the video doesn't look too awful bad.

N8WAC