Topics

Balloon Suppliers

Jason Unwin

Group 1 of the Oklahoma Wing CAP is trying to organize a test flight of a HAB with the goal of expanding and doing more flights for squadrons in the wing and schools in Oklahoma. Who is a good supplier of high altitude balloons that is reliable and relatively inexpensive? It seems to be kind of "hit or miss" on Ebay or Amazon. The goal is to have at least one test flight done by the end of summer.

Sincerely,

--

Major Jason B. Unwin, CAP
Muskogee Composite Squadron, Professional Development Officer

Dennis Klipa - N8ERF

Jason,

I buy my balloons from Kaymont and never had a problem.  I can't comment on whether you would consider them inexpensive.  With $1500+ in payload and hundreds of student hours involved, inexpensive isn't my primary concern.

BTW, I lifted a 40 lb model of a house from the movie "Up" with an 800 g balloon from Kaymont for a high school band competition. I’m not sure that is relevant but it was pretty cool.

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018, 10:25 PM Jason Unwin via Groups.Io <generalripper_1999=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Group 1 of the Oklahoma Wing CAP is trying to organize a test flight of a HAB with the goal of expanding and doing more flights for squadrons in the wing and schools in Oklahoma. Who is a good supplier of high altitude balloons that is reliable and relatively inexpensive? It seems to be kind of "hit or miss" on Ebay or Amazon. The goal is to have at least one test flight done by the end of summer.

Sincerely,

--

Major Jason B. Unwin, CAP
Muskogee Composite Squadron, Professional Development Officer

Jayant Murthy

We get all our balloons from Pawan Rubber (http://www.pawanrubber.com/) and have had good success up to about 32 km (routinely 28+ km). The cost is about $50 per 2 kg balloon.

Jayant

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 7:55:42 AM GMT+5:30, Jason Unwin via Groups.Io <generalripper_1999@...> wrote:

Group 1 of the Oklahoma Wing CAP is trying to organize a test flight of a HAB with the goal of expanding and doing more flights for squadrons in the wing and schools in Oklahoma. Who is a good supplier of high altitude balloons that is reliable and relatively inexpensive? It seems to be kind of "hit or miss" on Ebay or Amazon. The goal is to have at least one test flight done by the end of summer.

Sincerely,

--

Major Jason B. Unwin, CAP
Muskogee Composite Squadron, Professional Development Officer

Jason Unwin

Jason

On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎June‎ ‎5‎, ‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎59‎:‎28‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CDT, Jayant Murthy via Groups.Io <jmurthy@...> wrote:

[...]

Derek Sigler

My group usually orders 1200g balloons from Kaymont Consolidated .  Price is reasonable and he went out of his way to help us once on a tight shipping schedule and snafu.  So we're going to stick with them.  Ships out of Florida.