Topics

Balloon chasing program

Larry

I am also interested.  I would like it to announce reports aurally when they arrive plus if the balloon is ascending or descending.

Could it run on my tablet?

Larry
KJ6PBS

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 12:33 PM, David Fields fieldsde@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

Jerry,
Looks like a very cool/useful program.  Definitely, continue development.

What more?  Weather data, perhaps.  I can help with beta testing if you need.
Cheers,
David Fields
N4HBO

On Jul 10, 2017, at 11:11, Jerry Gable jerrygable@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

Since GPSL I have been thinking about chase software.  I haven't found any that does what I think it should.  I have looked at http://flighttrack.surfingsatellites.org/ but that is about the only one I know about.  I am looking for one that can be used offline in those bad reception areas balloons like to find.

I decided to start looking at what it would take to write one and have started playing with writing my own.  I have played with the pieces and think I have the stuff to pull this off.  The screenshot below is what I have running now.  The numbers on the right for the balloon are all test but the parser is working and mapping position reports to the map.

The question is: Is anyone else interested?  If I do it jus t for myself I'm not convinced it is worth the effort.

Here are my goals for the tool.
  • Must work offline.
    • Maps must be able to be cached.
    • Must be able to deal with internet loss as well as PC restarts
  • Show my location and the balloon being chased.
    • decode GPS NEMA data for my location
    • Allow multiple trackers to provide data from the balloon (failure backup and faster update times)
  • Simple interface to allow use in moving cars (not driver)
  • Show what the balloon is currently doing
  • Receive APRS from a radio (KISS mode) and APRS-IS.
  • S how pre-flight prediction
  • Update prediction with real time data from the balloon
  • Run on windows laptop. (Tools allow for Apple laptop & linux builds as well)

So am I doing this for myself or is there interest in this from you?  If yes, what would you like to see in it?

Inline image

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com

Jerry

When you say announce reports, what would be in these reports?

It will NOT run on an iPad or android tablet.  It should run on a windows tablet.

[...]

Bruce Coates

Hi Jerry

One addition feature I would, recommend would be support for agpwpe type interfaces provided by the various sound card modem programs such as AGW Packet Engine, UZ7HO, and Dire Wolf sound modems.

I run a dedicated Windows programtha i wrote along side APRSISCE/32 which uses text to voice to announce altitude and some other optional parameters so the driver/navigator don't need to stare at a screen.  Incorporating features like that, as others have suggested, would be very convenient.

73, Bruce - VE5BNC

[...]

Zack Clobes W0ZC

I think that my Balloon Finder checks most of the boxes...  Have you looked at it?

On Jul 11, 2017 4:09 PM, "Bruce Coates bruce.coates@... [GPSL]" <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

It would be balloon altitude and whether it was descending

On Jul 10, 2017 4:33 PM, "Jerry Gable jerrygable@... [GPSL]" <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

You need to advertise more.  As you said, it checks most of the boxes.  May have to rethink writing another one.

[...]

Hi Zack

What tile set are you using for your maps?  I now recall that I didn't pursue using your program because the maps for rural areas in Canada was quite poor,  I now see that map set is vastly improved.

73, Bruce