ATV

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

Michael Hojnowski

On 12/4/2017 8:33 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] wrote:

Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

I've had the gear for about 2 years.  I just haven't gotten 'round to it, as it's a significant investment in the payload.  I launched a HAB from a local hamfest last year, and sparked a lot of interest in balloons. I may talk to the hamfest organizers about launching an ATV flight next year.  It might be fun if they had a ground station at the fest that could monitor the flight after launch.

Mike

Michael Hojnowski

Joe,

Funny you should mention GPS.  Ya, that was causing me problems as I tested my payload.  I wired up an on-screen display module, with the intent to overlay Lat / Long / Altitude data on the picture.  It works great with a low power transmitter.  When I put my "big" transmitter on there, the GPS wouldn't get a lock.  I need to rethink my payload setup and get the GPS module away from the transmit antenna, and maybe think about some shielding.  Between that, and being hesitant about the expense in the event of a lost payload, that's when I set it all aside.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 12/4/2017 11:05 AM, Joe wrote:
ATV flights is the heart of all this ballooning stuff! It's mostly all we did way back in the beginning what 30 years ago now, UG! I've been doing these things for 30 years!?

ATV is TOUGH tho to do good. People are sooo used to the new TV where pictures are always PERFECT. an ATV from a Balloon will NEVER be perfect. Even right after liftoff when the payload is only 100 yards away. Multipath can rip the signal to shreds even tho it's incredibly strong!

I would do a Video flight of your own before doing a public one so you can see what your results would be.

The biggest recv antenna ya can get is a MUST as well as a high gain low noise preamp. AT THE ANTENNA

There is a REASON TV stations run megawatts!

Also if you plan on using a GPS system. Place it in a totally separate from the ATV transmitter, from 50+ flights with GPS's onboard, the only times we had ANY trouble with a GPS, is when we were running an ATV transmitter. separating them cured that issue.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 12/4/2017 9:40 AM, Michael Hojnowski kd2eat@... [GPSL] wrote:
On 12/4/2017 8:33 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] wrote:

Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

I've had the gear for about 2 years.  I just haven't gotten 'round to it, as it's a significant investment in the payload.  I launched a HAB from a local hamfest last year, and sparked a lot of interest in balloons. I may talk to the hamfest organizers about launching an ATV flight next year.  It might be fun if they had a ground station at the fest that could monitor the flight after launch.

Mike

Jack Crabtree

We flew our first ATV package on November 18, 1990 from Denver. A video of the flight is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6_WG71C-s&t=256s
Now we use PiCams, Raspberry Pis, and 5.8 GHz Wifi Modems. Is this still considered ATV?
Jack Crabtree

On 12/4/2017 6:33:12 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] wrote:

Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

So tv off the amatuer band. I'm beginning to think ATV and SSTV isn't used any more.

Perhaps the drop in high quality, light weight video recording equipment is a reason. Also, I'd like to think we're losing fewer payloads and can now wait to get the payload back to see the video. Or perhaps it's because we've grown use to seeing near space video and it's just less important.

On 12/4/2017 6:33:12 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] <gpsl-noreply@...> wrote:

Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

Jack Crabtree

No it is on the exclusive ham band segments on 5.8 GHz, AREDN software is used to put the modems on the ham.
Jack

On 12/4/2017 10:43:24 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] wrote:

[...]

If it's on the ham band of 5.8 gigahertz than I would still call that ATV.

Am I right then, and understanding it that there's not much ATV going on these days?

On Dec 4, 2017 9:41 AM, "Jack Crabtree" <jscra@...> wrote:
We flew our first ATV package on November 18, 1990 from Denver. A video of the flight is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6_WG71C-s&t=256s
Now we use PiCams, Raspberry Pis, and 5.8 GHz Wifi Modems. Is this still considered ATV?
Jack Crabtree

On 12/4/2017 6:33:12 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] <gpsl-noreply@...> wrote:

Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

So ATV is still being flown.

Does everyone feel they're flying ATV as much as it was in the past?

I've only flown ATV for one year followed by flying SSTV the next year. I gave them up after video cameras became cheap enough to launch. I've always liked their quality over ATV and SSTV.

On Dec 5, 2017 2:22 PM, <wb8elk@...> wrote:
The local university still flies ATV on 434 MHz as well as payloads that I still fly on occasion. I use the VM-70X TV transmitter by PC Electronics along with their Little Wheel antenna.

I have also been flying SSTV via the SSTVcam by Argent Data hooked up to a 2m FM transmitter.

If it's on the ham band of 5.8 gigahertz than I would still call that ATV.

Am I right then, and understanding it that there's not much ATV going on these days?

On Dec 4, 2017 9:41 AM, "Jack Crabtree" <jscra@...> wrote:
We flew our first ATV package on November 18, 1990 from Denver. A video of the flight is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6_WG71C-s&t=256s
Now we use PiCams, Raspberry Pis, and 5.8 GHz Wifi Modems. Is this still considered ATV?
Jack Crabtree

On 12/4/2017 6:33:12 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] <gpsl-noreply@...> wrote:

Does anyone fly amateur television anymore? What about digital? It seems to me that digital requires a PC and that's not practical on a balloon flight. Thanks

John Maca

We have been flying a DVB-T Digital camera/transmitter for our past couple of summer flights.  The unit is from HiRes (www.hires.com.tw) and the latest model is a DC-105.  The unit only puts out a couple mW on 434 MHz, so a very linear amplifier is required to get sufficient power (~300-500 mW) for the downlink.  I'm not the ATV/DTV guru in the group, but I think the digital config is 16 QAM at 4 Mbps data rate, although they have been tuning the config to get the best quality video from a spinning payload.

Another cool payload we flew last August was a DMR repeater (stripped down Motorola XPR8300) that performed beyond expectations.  It only had ~15mW output as the final PA was blown and a mini-circuits amp was hacked in-line to get the 15 mW out.  The guy that supplied that payload is already working to build a lighter version.

John
AB5SS