Topics

ARHAB launched at World Scout Jamboree crosses Atlantic

Mark Conner N9XTN

Keith Kaiser, WA0̷TJT

Deb and I would not be able to attend a Field Day weekend GPSL. We participate with our large club here for FD, its been a tradition for many many years. In many way I’m surprised that so many are willing to use that weekend. Primarily FD is an emergency preparedness exercise treated by many as a contest, but its real goal is to test your radio equipment, in the field, for emergency communications. As much as we enjoy launching and chasing balloons, its secondary to our EmComm work.

We are curious to know if this proposal conflicts with many others.

We don’t want to miss another GPSL, already missed 2017, we miss seeing all of you (LOL), and it was so great seeing you all this year.

Keith, WA0̷TJT

BASE_DePauw

Keith,

I have no connection with any field day work.  I only use amateur radio for the APRS tracking of the high altitude balloon, and on very rare occasions vehicle-to-vehicle communications during recovery activities.

However, I know that many operators are very active on Field Day and that some of my ballooning buddies serve as emergency coordinators in their home communities.  Having GPSL on the morning when the Field Day begins at 1 pm may not be the best idea.

I know that Mark wants to set the meeting location and needs to know, but I wonder how many of us can come on the July dates.  I shared with Mark that both dates are acceptable for our program (small and non-amateur as it is).

The corn will be an issue on either date, just a bit more challenging in July.  I remember 2007 in Grand Island with the ten-foot corn.

I don't like to cut anyone out of GPSL because of another amateur radio event.

Howard

--
Howard L. Brooks
Professor of Physics and Astronomy