From: "Mark Conner N9XTN"
Sent: 13-Mar-2018 01:25:34 +0000
Subject: [GPSL] APRSISCE and balloon chasing

Since I got a new laptop last fall, I decided to make a break with the APRSPlus program I've been using for nearly 20 (!) years now and installed APRSISCE.  I finally got it to talk to my KPC-3 on a USB-to-serial adapter and it will source GPS data from my phone.  I think I also have it caching maps correctly so I can have maps without an Internet connection.

One of the features I like about APRSPlus is that I can have a list of "tracked" stations and only see posits from those tracked stations.  I usually set that to my balloon callsigns so that I can quickly see if they are being received regularly and eyeball ascent/descent rates from sequential packets.  Is there a way to see that on APRSISCE, either via one of the logging windows or some other method?

I've noticed that the documentation on http://aprsisce.wikidot.com is a little thin, out of date, or outright missing in many places.  Is there a better source?

73 de Mark N9XTN

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb@...>

On 3/12/2018 9:25 PM, Mark Conner N9XTN wrote:
Since I got a new laptop last fall, I decided to make a break with the APRSPlus program I've been using for nearly 20 (!) years now and installed APRSISCE.  I finally got it to talk to my KPC-3 on a USB-to-serial adapter and it will source GPS data from my phone.  I think I also have it caching maps correctly so I can have maps without an Internet connection.

Great!  May I ask what you're using to get the GPS from the phone to the laptop?  An app on the phone that offers a Bluetooth GPS via SPP?

One of the features I like about APRSPlus is that I can have a list of "tracked" stations and only see posits from those tracked stations.  I usually set that to my balloon callsigns so that I can quickly see if they are being received regularly and eyeball ascent/descent rates from sequential packets.  Is there a way to see that on APRSISCE, either via one of the logging windows or some other method?

It depends on what you mean by "see posits".  The implication from the rest of your description implies that you have a log that only shows selected stations' packets.  Or is it that you only want to see selected stations on the map?

For the former, if you can craft an APRS-IS-compatible filter string describing what you want to see (say b/BALLON-1/BALLON-2 or b/N9XTN*) then you can put that into the Configure / Scroller / Filter.  This filter is applied to all received packets on their way to the packet scroller along the left edge of the screen.  I suspect that's what you're after.   If you want to see the actual raw packets only for selected stations, sorry, that's not something that's available anywhere at this time.  But I have been requested to add some balloon tracking features which would include the ascent/descent rate automatically calculated.

If it is to only see selected stations on a map, the easiest way to do that is with !shriek!s.  You can use Nicknames to specify !shriek!s locally for stations that may not be transmitting them in their packets.  And then you use View / None followed by View / Shriek / !Whatever! to only see those stations on your map.  Here's 2 slides from an APRSIS32 presentation I did once.  Hopefully it'll provide enough hints that you can work out what it all means.  If not, ask for additional clarification.

I've noticed that the documentation on http://aprsisce.wikidot.com is a little thin, out of date, or outright missing in many places.  Is there a better source?

If you see something thin that you know something about, feel free to write up an article and we'll get it added to the Wiki.  As far as a better source, ask in the APRSISCE Yahoo group as Chris suggested.  There's lots of folks over there that can answer questions (and I hang out there as well!).

Comments inline below

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
On 3/12/2018 9:25 PM, Mark Conner N9XTN wrote:
Since I got a new laptop last fall, I decided to make a break with the APRSPlus program I've been using for nearly 20 (!) years now and installed APRSISCE.  I finally got it to talk to my KPC-3 on a USB-to-serial adapter and it will source GPS data from my phone.  I think I also have it caching maps correctly so I can have maps without an Internet connection.

Great!  May I ask what you're using to get the GPS from the phone to the laptop?  An app on the phone that offers a Bluetooth GPS via SPP?

​The program is called "Share GPS".  I'm not sure of the protocol, but it works.  The only 'glitch' is that APRSISCE believes I only have a 2D GPS lock, but altitude is being provided and a different phone app shows the GPS has a 3D lock.  I imagine it's because of the data being shared not being quite right.​

[...]

​This sounds close to what I need, minus looking at raw packets.  This would keep the scroller 'clutter' down.  I think I do want to see all stations mapped.

I've noticed that the documentation on http://aprsisce.wikidot.com is a little thin, out of date, or outright missing in many places.  Is there a better source?

If you see something thin that you know something about, feel free to write up an article and we'll get it added to the Wiki.  As far as a better source, ask in the APRSISCE Yahoo group as Chris suggested.  There's lots of folks over there that can answer questions (and I hang out there as well!).

​I've been lurking on the APRSISCE list for a​ while.  It looks like there is a lot of scattered wisdom throughout the archive that may not be reflected in the wiki.  Unfortunately searching Yahoo's archive can be a pain, especially if you can't determine the right word or phrase to pull out what you want.  It would be nice to have more of that info collected into the wiki.

If I get to the point where I can contribute to the wiki usefully, I'll draft something up.

73 de Mark N9XTN