APRS

Joe WB9SBD

It has been a LONG LONG time since I have done anything with APRS.

With the state of modern computers now days, I would expect that the
need of the TNC's and all that junk can now be simply done using some
software via a soundcard.

if this has not happened I would be amazed.

does anyone know about this?

A Balloon flight is in the works, and I don't have anything for APRS well at least anything compatable with the new computers like old MFJ tnc's not sure if it even works, or actually where it even is.
anymore.

Joe WB9SBD

Christopher Rose

Raspberry Pi, Direwolf software sound card, add gps for position and altitude and whatever radio u want. Argent data makes trackers with gps with combined transmitters as well.

On Aug 10, 2021 11:51 AM, Joe WB9SBD <nss@...> wrote:
It has been a LONG LONG time since I have done anything with APRS.

With the state of modern computers now days, I would expect that the
need of the TNC's and all that junk can now be simply done using some
software via a soundcard.

if this has not happened I would be amazed.

does anyone know about this?

A Balloon flight is in the works, and I don't have anything for APRS well at least anything compatable with the new computers like old MFJ tnc's not sure if it even works, or actually where it even is.
anymore.

Joe WB9SBD

Christopher Rose

Also look at byonics

Raspberry Pi, Direwolf software sound card, add gps for position and altitude and whatever radio u want. Argent data makes trackers with gps with combined transmitters as well.

On Aug 10, 2021 11:51 AM, Joe WB9SBD <nss@...> wrote:
It has been a LONG LONG time since I have done anything with APRS.

With the state of modern computers now days, I would expect that the
need of the TNC's and all that junk can now be simply done using some
software via a soundcard.

if this has not happened I would be amazed.

does anyone know about this?

A Balloon flight is in the works, and I don't have anything for APRS well at least anything compatable with the new computers like old MFJ tnc's not sure if it even works, or actually where it even is.
anymore.

Right now I am only concerned with receiving and decoding to make sure payload(s) are running correctly before release. I have zero need to be transmitting at this time.

Joe WB9SBD

On 8/10/2021 10:58 AM, Christopher Rose wrote:
Raspberry Pi, Direwolf software sound card, add gps for position and altitude and whatever radio u want. Argent data makes trackers with gps with combined transmitters as well.

On Aug 10, 2021 11:51 AM, Joe WB9SBD <nss@...> wrote:
It has been a LONG LONG time since I have done anything with APRS.

With the state of modern computers now days, I would expect that the
need of the TNC's and all that junk can now be simply done using some
software via a soundcard.

if this has not happened I would be amazed.

does anyone know about this?

A Balloon flight is in the works, and I don't have anything for APRS well at least anything compatable with the new computers like old MFJ tnc's not sure if it even works, or actually where it even is.
anymore.

Joe WB9SBD

Mustafa Tan

On 10 Aug 2021, at 19:55, Joe WB9SBD <nss@...> wrote:

[...]

Garrett, Mark

Joe:
Go find that MFJ in all of "your stuff" as it will work to decode your payload.  Probably will need a copy of Hyperterm or something similar to view the data.

Mark

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 11:55 AM Joe WB9SBD <nss@...> wrote:
Right now I am only concerned with receiving and decoding to make sure payload(s) are running correctly before release. I have zero need to be transmitting at this time.

Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio

Michael Hojnowski

Joe,

If all you wish to do is decode, and/or iGate, a cheap and easy solution is to pick up a $20 SDR dongle, and run Direwolf on Windows / Mac / Linux.  I recommend that for student groups I work with when they're flying APRS trackers.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 8/10/2021 12:55 PM, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
[...]

You weren't specific in your post, or I can't read very well