Topics

Alternate launch site may be needed

Mark Conner <n9xtn@...>

Today's predictions for both Saturday and Sunday (6th and 7th) show
extremely light winds below 70,000 ft. Both predictions show a landing
about 7 miles from the launch site on a bearing of about 020. This is
in the general area of the KSU campus in Manhattan.

There's not much we can do to help ourselves to get away from town
given this wind profile. Going for a slower ascent rate would move the
prediction north of town towards a reservoir. Going for a lower burst
or cutdown would move the prediction east along the Kansas River, which
in general is wooded.

If this wind profile holds up (and it's a 9 day prediction after all,
so it may well not), we need to investigate another launch site. The
town of Alta Vista, about 15 miles south of I-70 on KS 177, would be
ideal in this situation. However, I don't know if there is a park,
ball diamond, or some other public open ground we could use. Alma (15
miles south of Exit 328) appears to have a high school with a football
field and other open space and would also be a decent site (except for
its proximity to I-70).
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
S=10&T=1&X=3674&Y=21612&Z=14&W=2

Perhaps Paul can do some recon for us next week before the symposium.

73 de Mark N9XTN

Don Pfister <ka0jlf@...>

How about the airport at Herrington? They wanted us to launch there before. It's
a little farther south (one of the capsules landed near there last year).

Just a thought,
Don

Mark Conner wrote:

[...]

[Signature File]
Name=Don Pfister KA0JLF
HABITAT SkyLab soon to add SeaLab (underwater robotics)
(High Altitude Basic Investigation Testing And Tracking)
Email=ka0jlf@... or ka0jlf@... or donp@...

http://habitat.netlab.org
http://www.kc.net/~dpfister - going away not sure when they will pull the plug
http://www.netlab.org/~donp
http://home.earthlink.net/~ka0jlf
http://home.kc.rr.com/cdpfister/
http://www.netlab.org:8888/ Visit the Lab in the Hobby wing. HABITAT being
built...

view stations on the web real time (~3 minute updates):
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KA0JLF Home
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KA0JLF-9 van
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?KA0JLF-11 balloon

Don Pfister <ka0jlf@...>

As I recall they had a big (old bomber base?) hanger building they were going to let
us prep and fill in.

Don

Mark Conner wrote:

[...]

That would be about 40 miles from Manhattan - not unreasonable, and
sure beats not launching. I see on Mapquest there is an airport a few
miles east of Herington - assume that's it. If they have a hangar we
can use that morning that would be great.

The only downside is that we have Junction City and Fort Riley to our
north about 25 miles. If we have a 350-020 track >25 miles, we'd have
to do something else.

Don, do you have contacts at the Herington airport or can you get
some? Sure would be nice if we could have that prearranged as an
alternate site if we need it.

- Mark