GPS-320FW(AS) failed at 39986 feet.

trcostan

The datasheet shows -20c as it’s minimum operating temp and 25km as it’s max height without a firmware update for space operations. I would expect the button battery as mentioned above!

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 10:40 AM Michael Hojnowski <kd2eat@...> wrote:
One other thought.  If the GPS module has a button battery to keep the
parameters cached, perhaps the battery wore out?  I had that happen with
one GPS, and it defaulted back to non-airborne mode.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 7/25/2022 11:08 AM, Bruce Coates wrote:
> Hi Kip
>
> This isn't one that's affected the 18km limit.  It normally has an
> altitude limit of 25km but this is one with the high altitude firmware
> that works well above 30km.  As I mentioned, this tracker and GPS has
> been successfully on our previous flights.
>
> I did come across some mentions of this unit being affected by the
> April 2019 date roll-over.  Although we've used it in the past, thanks
> to COVID, the last successful flight with it was before that.
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>
> I also live the UBlox GPSs and I also use them exclusively now.  I
> think the ham that built this one is also going to switch to a UBlox one.
>
> 73, Bruce
>
> On 2022-07-25 6:51 a.m., AE5IB (Kip) wrote:
>> Yes.
>>
>> Some GPS brands stop working between 32000 and 40000 feet.
>>
>> There was a rule that said a consumer GPS can not work above
>> something like 32000 feet or above a certain speed. It was to prevent
>> cheep GPS units to work on enemy missiles.
>>
>> Some manufacturers read it as a certain height OR a certain speed,
>> not AND.
>>
>> I prefer the UBlox GPS because it has modes you can set with their
>> configuration program.  (Free download) Aircraft 1 mode is for a
>> slower aircraft. Still faster than a balloon but the slowest of the
>> aircraft modes. I have had it up to 132,000 feet.
>>
>> It comes with automobile mode as default, so you have to change it.
>>
>> None will work over a certain height. I think it is 160,000 feet.
>> Again because of military rules.
>>
>> Kip

Michael Hojnowski

Yes.

Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...>

On 2022-07-25 6:51 a.m., AE5IB (Kip) wrote:
Yes.

Some GPS brands stop working between 32000 and 40000 feet.

There was a rule that said a consumer GPS can not work above something like 32000 feet or above a certain speed. It was to prevent cheep GPS units to work on enemy missiles.

Some manufacturers read it as a certain height OR a certain speed, not AND.

I prefer the UBlox GPS because it has modes you can set with their configuration program.  (Free download) Aircraft 1 mode is for a slower aircraft. Still faster than a balloon but the slowest of the aircraft modes. I have had it up to 132,000 feet.

It comes with automobile mode as default, so you have to change it.

None will work over a certain height. I think it is 160,000 feet. Again because of military rules.

Kip

AE5IB (Kip)

Yes.

Some GPS brands stop working between 32000 and 40000 feet.

There was a rule that said a consumer GPS can not work above something like 32000 feet or above a certain speed. It was to prevent cheep GPS units to work on enemy missiles.

Some manufacturers read it as a certain height OR a certain speed, not AND.

I prefer the UBlox GPS because it has modes you can set with their configuration program.  (Free download) Aircraft 1 mode is for a slower aircraft. Still faster than a balloon but the slowest of the aircraft modes. I have had it up to 132,000 feet.

It comes with automobile mode as default, so you have to change it.

None will work over a certain height. I think it is 160,000 feet. Again because of military rules.

Kip

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022, 10:15 PM Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...> wrote:
Hi

An interesting thing happened on our SABRE-31 flight yesterday.  Our VE5AA-12 tracker gps failed at or near 39986 feet.  The tracker is using a GT320FW(AS) that's been flown before and worked fine.  Has anyone else seen this behaviour with this GPS?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC