GPS-320FW(AS) failed at 39986 feet.

trcostan

The datasheet shows -20c as it’s minimum operating temp and 25km as it’s max height without a firmware update for space operations. I would expect the button battery as mentioned above! 

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 10:40 AM Michael Hojnowski <kd2eat@...> wrote:
One other thought.  If the GPS module has a button battery to keep the
parameters cached, perhaps the battery wore out?  I had that happen with
one GPS, and it defaulted back to non-airborne mode.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 7/25/2022 11:08 AM, Bruce Coates wrote:
> Hi Kip
>
> This isn't one that's affected the 18km limit.  It normally has an
> altitude limit of 25km but this is one with the high altitude firmware
> that works well above 30km.  As I mentioned, this tracker and GPS has
> been successfully on our previous flights.
>
> I did come across some mentions of this unit being affected by the
> April 2019 date roll-over.  Although we've used it in the past, thanks
> to COVID, the last successful flight with it was before that. 
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>
> I also live the UBlox GPSs and I also use them exclusively now.  I
> think the ham that built this one is also going to switch to a UBlox one.
>
> 73, Bruce
>
> On 2022-07-25 6:51 a.m., AE5IB (Kip) wrote:
>> Yes.
>>
>> Some GPS brands stop working between 32000 and 40000 feet.
>>
>> There was a rule that said a consumer GPS can not work above
>> something like 32000 feet or above a certain speed. It was to prevent
>> cheep GPS units to work on enemy missiles.
>>
>> Some manufacturers read it as a certain height OR a certain speed,
>> not AND.
>>
>> I prefer the UBlox GPS because it has modes you can set with their
>> configuration program.  (Free download) Aircraft 1 mode is for a
>> slower aircraft. Still faster than a balloon but the slowest of the
>> aircraft modes. I have had it up to 132,000 feet.
>>
>> It comes with automobile mode as default, so you have to change it.
>>
>> None will work over a certain height. I think it is 160,000 feet.
>> Again because of military rules.
>>
>> Kip
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Michael Hojnowski

One other thought.  If the GPS module has a button battery to keep the parameters cached, perhaps the battery wore out?  I had that happen with one GPS, and it defaulted back to non-airborne mode.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 7/25/2022 11:08 AM, Bruce Coates wrote:
Hi Kip

This isn't one that's affected the 18km limit.  It normally has an altitude limit of 25km but this is one with the high altitude firmware that works well above 30km.  As I mentioned, this tracker and GPS has been successfully on our previous flights.

I did come across some mentions of this unit being affected by the April 2019 date roll-over.  Although we've used it in the past, thanks to COVID, the last successful flight with it was before that.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I also live the UBlox GPSs and I also use them exclusively now.  I think the ham that built this one is also going to switch to a UBlox one.

73, Bruce

On 2022-07-25 6:51 a.m., AE5IB (Kip) wrote:
Yes.

Some GPS brands stop working between 32000 and 40000 feet.

There was a rule that said a consumer GPS can not work above something like 32000 feet or above a certain speed. It was to prevent cheep GPS units to work on enemy missiles.

Some manufacturers read it as a certain height OR a certain speed, not AND.

I prefer the UBlox GPS because it has modes you can set with their configuration program.  (Free download) Aircraft 1 mode is for a slower aircraft. Still faster than a balloon but the slowest of the aircraft modes. I have had it up to 132,000 feet.

It comes with automobile mode as default, so you have to change it.

None will work over a certain height. I think it is 160,000 feet. Again because of military rules.

Kip

Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...>

Hi Kip

This isn't one that's affected the 18km limit.  It normally has an altitude limit of 25km but this is one with the high altitude firmware that works well above 30km.  As I mentioned, this tracker and GPS has been successfully on our previous flights.

I did come across some mentions of this unit being affected by the April 2019 date roll-over.  Although we've used it in the past, thanks to COVID, the last successful flight with it was before that.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I also live the UBlox GPSs and I also use them exclusively now.  I think the ham that built this one is also going to switch to a UBlox one.

73, Bruce

On 2022-07-25 6:51 a.m., AE5IB (Kip) wrote:
Yes.

There was a rule that said a consumer GPS can not work above something like 32000 feet or above a certain speed. It was to prevent cheep GPS units to work on enemy missiles.

I prefer the UBlox GPS because it has modes you can set with their configuration program.  (Free download) Aircraft 1 mode is for a slower aircraft. Still faster than a balloon but the slowest of the aircraft modes. I have had it up to 132,000 feet.

None will work over a certain height. I think it is 160,000 feet. Again because of military rules.

Kip

AE5IB (Kip)

Yes. 

Kip

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022, 10:15 PM Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...> wrote:
Hi

An interesting thing happened on our SABRE-31 flight yesterday.  Our VE5AA-12 tracker gps failed at or near 39986 feet.  The tracker is using a GT320FW(AS) that's been flown before and worked fine.  Has anyone else seen this behaviour with this GPS?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...>

Hi

An interesting thing happened on our SABRE-31 flight yesterday.  Our VE5AA-12 tracker gps failed at or near 39986 feet.  The tracker is using a GT320FW(AS) that's been flown before and worked fine.  Has anyone else seen this behaviour with this GPS?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC