Very Successful Cornell High Altitude Balloon Launch 10/10/2021

Hank Riley

Mike,

More to follow, but for now, will the Cornell balloon team be releasing the recording of the Zoom event (it was recorded for GPSL members who aren't aware of that) on youtube soon?

I'm asking about all the Zoom recording where something was happening, not just a few minutes of spectacular highlights which have been already released.  I was not able to watch at the time this event took place because of doing other holiday activities.

Hank

Marcelo Galati

Edited

hi Hank
I have been quietly following you guys for a good while.
The video clip you share is quite impressive!
Do you have more details or videos?
I'm trying to put together a team at my second station (Aalborg, Denmark) for a balloon project.
it would be great if you could share more details about this project perhaps?
Great one indeed, congrats!
Cheers!
Marcelo
2E0WKF
zigvonlord@...

Michael Hojnowski

Hank,

The zoom recording is about 9 hours long.  I fired it up before I left the house at 9am and turned it off when I returned around 6pm. I'll probably edit it down to at least trim it to the launch, flight + recovery.  There were about 10 people on the zoom during the chase.  To be honest, I haven't even had a moment to look at it.  It'll take me a bit.  I don't even know if I have enough disk space to download the entire recording to edit it and make a trimmed version for Youtube.  I'll work on it this week.

That said, the students from the Space Systems Design Studio have a media team that is assembling footage they gathered from the build, launch preps, flight and recovery into some kind of video.  Aside from testing the technical aspects of the payload, the flight was also intended to gather "marketing" type material.  I expect they'll be releasing that at some point in the coming weeks.  I'll share that as well.

Mike

On 10/12/2021 5:48 AM, Hank Riley via groups.io wrote:
Mike,

More to follow, but for now, will the Cornell balloon team be releasing the recording of the Zoom event (it was recorded for GPSL members who aren't aware of that) on youtube soon?

I'm asking about all the Zoom recording where something was happening, not just a few minutes of spectacular highlights which have been already released.  I was not able to watch at the time this event took place because of doing other holiday activities.

Hank

Michael Hojnowski

The full zoom session from pre-launch through recovery is now available.  It's 3 1/2 hours with long periods of silence, but there is more chatter on the audio as we home in on the chase.  For next time, I'm going to see if we can make it such that the on-site folks share their video and override the chase map, rather than just come onto the video call (with their video being a small box on the side).  I think that would help.  We'll see what we can do.  Enjoy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs3rDiVnW0s

The students have a media team preparing a full video montage of the experience.  I'll share that if/when it becomes available.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 10/12/2021 11:59 AM, Michael Hojnowski via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Christopher Rose

Were hams involved in the event?

[...]

Yes, I'm the advisor to the University ham club.  We partnered with the Space Sciences department on this launch.  The students from their team built the payload.  I provided the APRS trackers.  We also had some other hams who are more active with the County club participate in the chase and recovery.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 10/13/2021 12:22 PM, Christopher Rose wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I use APRS and advocate its use at public service events when feasible.

Chris

[...]

Fantastically great results.  I very much enjoyed watching the last Zoom launch where full screen live video was broadcast of the recovery (the last and only part I saw by way of Zoom by me being late).  Wished I'd seen more of that one.  For those who didn't see it there were Zoom hosts back at some location, I guess on campus, who directed and coordinated the video shot selection that went out on Zoom.

Since the question of ham participation has come up, how many, if any student hams were part of the Space Sciences department "team" who built the payload?  How big (approx.) was that team as far as total students, whether ham or not?

Hank

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:32 PM, Michael H. wrote:
Yes, I'm the advisor to the University ham club.  We partnered with the Space Sciences department on this launch.  The students from their team built the payload.

Michael Hojnowski

The Space Sciences team has about 6-10 students, depending on exactly how you count, as they have several projects going on, and they move around so far as I can tell.   As a result of previous balloon and tracking activity, we've had a few members of their group join the Ham club and become licensed.  One is even an officer in the radio club now.  We also have other students on that team that simply got their licenses in order to be legal when using amateur frequencies for telemetry.  That's fine too.

Ya, I really loved when we had a few of the students acting as "hosts" to the livestream and curate it better.  We just didn't have the cycles to do that this time around.

Mike / KD2EAT

On 10/13/2021 1:09 PM, Hank Riley via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Jules Hojnowski

Yes at least 3 older adults and i am not sure how many of the 5 stdents were.

Jules/ kd2fou