From: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io> on behalf of Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 6:15:47 PM
To: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io>
Subject: [GPSL] Balloon fight for grade 6 students

Hi

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Bruce Coates

Hi Jukes

Interesting idea. We did something similar with "phone home" notes with another school several years ago but we ended up flying over wilderness so nobody ever received a contact.

73, Brcue

One that we did was a few plastic army guys with tiny parachutes, i think they put them in the balloons and when they burst it was rainging army people, oh they also had notes on them aboit the whole thing. The kids got a kick out of it :)

Jules

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

We had students launch balloons filled with different gases and then photographed them throughout the flight. By measuring the diameters they determined if all gases behave the same. Another class send up rubber bands stretched around silver and black colored surfaces to see if rubber bands could survive the cold, ultraviolet radiation, and ozone of near space.  another one was to have students design a habitat for insects and then see the insects can survive within the habitat they designed.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 4:15 PM Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...> wrote:
Hi

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Jules Hojnowski

Nice :)

I am assuming that your fingers slipped, but you spelled my names wro g :(

It is Jules!
Thanks

Interesting idea. We did something similar with "phone home" notes with another school several years ago but we ended up flying over wilderness so nobody ever received a contact.

73, Brcue

One that we did was a few plastic army guys with tiny parachutes, i think they put them in the balloons and when they burst it was rainging army people, oh they also had notes on them aboit the whole thing. The kids got a kick out of it :)

Jules

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Bruce Coates

Oops.  Sorry about that.

Tablet touch screen and a cat.  Didn't get my own name right either.  ;-)

Nice :)

Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Interesting idea. We did something similar with "phone home" notes with another school several years ago but we ended up flying over wilderness so nobody ever received a contact.

73, Brcue

Jules Hojnowski

Yep cat here too :) lol :)
Thanks, sorry i am a bit touchy about my name i paid a lot of money years ago to make it my real name, since my parents and u had a major hate fest going on, i had to change the name. Not to mention that i want a nice name for publishing books :)

Jules

On 2021-03-10 7:44 p.m., Jules Hojnowski wrote:
> Nice :)
>
> I am assuming that your fingers slipped, but you spelled my names wro g :(
>
> It is Jules!
> Thanks

Bruce Coates

Thanks Paul

We had students launch balloons filled with different gases and then photographed them throughout the flight. By measuring the diameters they determined if all gases behave the same. Another class send up rubber bands stretched around silver and black colored surfaces to see if rubber bands could survive the cold, ultraviolet radiation, and ozone of near space.  another one was to have students design a habitat for insects and then see the insects can survive within the habitat they designed.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 4:15 PM Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...> wrote:
Hi

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Jason Unwin

What gases did you use?

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 19:31, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH
<nearsys@...> wrote:
We had students launch balloons filled with different gases and then photographed them throughout the flight. By measuring the diameters they determined if all gases behave the same. Another class send up rubber bands stretched around silver and black colored surfaces to see if rubber bands could survive the cold, ultraviolet radiation, and ozone of near space.  another one was to have students design a habitat for insects and then see the insects can survive within the habitat they designed.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 4:15 PM Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...> wrote:
Hi

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Bill Brown

Hi Bruce,

  We have sent up a banana....nice yellow one (still a little green on the edges)...when it came back it was brown and mushy like it had been in a fridge for a year.

  We also send up a Moon Pie cookie and had a control Moon Pie in the classroom.  Then had the students taste test the Near Space Moon Pie and comparing it to the normal Control Moon Pie.  The Near Space one lost air in the marshmallow center so it was firmer and they said it tasted better :-)

  We also sent up fishing crickets and they all survived.

  Apple slices are a good experiment too.

  Latex balloons partially inflated on the flight line with a camera pointed at them during the flight is good too.

  Don't forget Paul Verhage's potato bombs too....potato chip bags.

  Take seeds aloft and plant them next to control seeds left in the classroom to see if the radiation environment had any effect.

  Send a dandelion or flower aloft.

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Bill Brown

We also once took up a box with a remotely activated servo trap door.....we had the box filled with dozens of brightly colored paper airplanes with the school address if anyone found it and a serial number for each student on each plane they had made.  We dropped the planes from about 80,000 feet and got a few of them back over the next few weeks and months.

We also did this from a tethered balloon from about 200 feet up and gave prizes to the top 10 planes that flew the farthest from the balloon drop point.

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Carbon dioxide, helium, nitrogen from the air.

<nearsys@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bill

Great ideas.  Thanks for rebminding me about Paul's potato bomb.

I assume the control moon pie would need to be under lock and key or protected by a burley guard.  ;-)

73, Bruce

We're in preliminary talks with a local high school to fly a balloon for
a grade 6 class in May or June.  What sorts of experiments, etc have
people found are suitable for this age group?

Thanks

Bruce - VE5BNC

Mike, n0mpm

Some years back we flew for Grout Children's Museum.  A hit was flying "Einstein" with a UV sensitive bead necklace.  Pictures showed the beads changing color with UV intensity...Big hit and a bit of science too.
73,
mike

Bruce Coates

Hi Mike

Very cool.  Where did you find the UV sensitive beads?

73, Bruce

On 2021-03-11 8:47 a.m., Mike, n0mpm wrote:
Some years back we flew for Grout Children's Museum.  A hit was flying "Einstein" with a UV sensitive bead necklace.  Pictures showed the beads changing color with UV intensity...Big hit and a bit of science too.
73,
mike

Mike, n0mpm

Amazon is your friend as well as many STEM educational websites.  I forgot to mention we tried smearing some different sunblock products on them to see what would happen....I think by the time we got up to altitude, all the sunscreen products were overwhelmed with UV ....Colors get darker the higher you go...
73,
mike

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

How about covering the beads with a light shield and then using a servo to open the shield. You could do this at different altitudes with different beads. Using video, you could determine how long it takes for the beads to darken. I am assuming the faster they darken, the greater the UV intensity. Students would need to program a microcontroller to position the servos at different times during the flight.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 10:08 AM Mike, n0mpm <n0mpm52@...> wrote:
Amazon is your friend as well as many STEM educational websites.  I forgot to mention we tried smearing some different sunblock products on them to see what would happen....I think by the time we got up to altitude, all the sunscreen products were overwhelmed with UV ....Colors get darker the higher you go...
73,
mike

Jules Hojnowski

That is a great idea, but would that not make a lot of extra weight?

And i think making servos would be very labour intensive? I have not seen any ready mady tiny ones to buy. Just a thought.

Jules

[...]

Servos are only a few ounces. A PICAXE or BASIC Stamp is easy to program and has a command specifically for servos.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 11:09 AM Jules Hojnowski <jah1690@...> wrote:
[...]

Oh ok, i just remembered the servo we made and put on was more than a few ozs :)

Jules