Topics

360 Video

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I picked up a Samsung 360 camera (Zack discussed the camera last ear at GPSL) for testing. My first attempt as 360 movie making is on my YouTube channel at, https://youtu.be/upWdOLxcAvs

It looks like the meta data is only letting YouTube show 1/2 the video.

--
Dr. L. Paul Verhage
Near Space Evangelist

Rodney Sparks

Awesome.  Has anyone integrated such a camera with a first-person view (FPV) setup so you can turn your head and look around while piloting a drone with goggles on?  The "tunnel vision" inherent to FPV setups seems like a stumbling block, and piloting drones while avoiding obstacles would be more straightforward if peripheral vision were a possibility. ;-)

-Rodney

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 11:46 AM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
I picked up a Samsung 360 camera (Zack discussed the camera last ear at GPSL) for testing. My first attempt as 360 movie making is on my YouTube channel at, https://youtu.be/upWdOLxcAvs

It looks like the meta data is only letting YouTube show 1/2 the video.

--
Dr. L. Paul Verhage
Near Space Evangelist

Mark Conner N9XTN

Paul,

When I viewed the video, it had a up/down/left/right control displayed in the upper left, which let me manipulate the view.

However, it looked like the stitching from the two cameras is not as good as it would be when viewed through the Samsung app (I got one of these as a promo for my wife's Note 8).  With the Samsung app, it was almost impossible to tell where one camera left off and the other one started.

I'll try recording a short video and will see if it has the stitching issue.  Might be a camera version issue.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 1:46 PM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
I picked up a Samsung 360 camera (Zack discussed the camera last ear at GPSL) for testing. My first attempt as 360 movie making is on my YouTube channel at, https://youtu.be/upWdOLxcAvs

It looks like the meta data is only letting YouTube show 1/2 the video.

--
Dr. L. Paul Verhage
Near Space Evangelist

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Thanks, I will take a closer look.

The app costs, so I was hesitant about downloading it.

On Mar 21, 2018 5:28 PM, "Mark Conner N9XTN" <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom Matthews

Paul, when I viewed the video on my iPad, I was able to move ‘around’ with my finger on the screen.  The stitching looked good to me, but I’m relatively new to 360 video - but it was easy to move around and I was impressed.

73
Tom K5SAF
South Texas BLT

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 6:48 PM L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
[...]

I was able to move the video around on my cell phone.

There may be an issue with my classroom PC.

On Mar 21, 2018 6:00 PM, "Tom Matthews" <k5saf.tx@...> wrote:
[...]

Zack Clobes W0ZC

I hadn't uploaded any of 360's to YouTube yet.  Facebook is pretty good about recognizing the 360 cameras and handling them automatically.

One thing that I noticed was when I first uploaded the video, it appeared a lot like what Paul described.  I waited a couple of minutes and it seems that YouTube re-rendered it into 360 mode with the view adjustment.

I have the Rioch camera, but there are no noticable seams in the video/stills, regardless of phone app, PC app, Facebook, or YouTube.

I also noticed a ReadMe when I was uploaded.  Not sure if you caught that.  https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en

Zack Clobes, W0ZC
Project: Traveler
www.projecttraveler.org

Join us on Facebook for the latest information:

Project: Traveler is a research project of Custom Digital Services, LLC.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:12 PM, L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...> wrote:
[...]

I think what is going on is that the 360 degree rendering done by YouTube on the Samsung video is not quite right.  It must make some assumptions about the mapping from the original 2D video to a spherical rendering that are not correct.

Samsung has free editing software that supposedly will take the video and prepare it for YouTube upload.  I'll see if it does better than YouTube's rendering (still downloading, it's a 660 Mb package).

- Mark

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for looking into this.

660 Mb?! What ever happen to compact code?
;)

On Mar 21, 2018 9:10 PM, "Mark Conner N9XTN" <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

So I uploaded three versions of the same video of me walking around the kitchen:

Raw video:

360 rendering by YouTube

360 rendering by Samsung Gear 360 ActionDirector

In the last video, the stitching is far less noticeable.

This was a good exercise for me as I got the Gear 360 freebie last fall and have not played much with it.  I may try to record my next launch prep and recovery with this.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:10 PM, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:
[...]

The third is definitely better. I'll see if I can download that at school.