Topics

Superlative high speed video of small hydrogen balloons exploding

Hank Riley

Can't give enough praise for this youtube from the University
of Nottingham.

Everyone on this list should take a look at it. Certainly those
who launch with hydrogen.

Pure hydrogen and the optimum stoichiometric mix (two H to one O)
latex balloons filmed by a high speed camera showing exactly what's
going on.

Narration by Sir Martyn Poliakoff CBE.  Distinguished professor and
world class authority on chemistry; the recipient of many honors
and awards.

Hank
____________________________

Bill Brown

This fellow claims he is doing this safely (pouring liquid nitrogen into large latex balloons) but I leave it to your opinion if he is doing this safely :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g6dwljJAJ8

Can't give enough praise for this youtube from the University
of Nottingham.

Everyone on this list should take a look at it. Certainly those
who launch with hydrogen.

Pure hydrogen and the optimum stoichiometric mix (two H to one O)
latex balloons filmed by a high speed camera showing exactly what's
going on.

Narration by Sir Martyn Poliakoff CBE.  Distinguished professor and
world class authority on chemistry; the recipient of many honors
and awards.

Hank
____________________________

Jason Unwin

The bottom line seems to be one almost has to WORK AT causing the hydrogen to burn. Normal common sense behavior and procedure should not present an unacceptable risk. Am I reading you all right?

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Joe WB9SBD

And I'm sorry. the explosion of his party balloons is from the pressure.

I have flown almost just as many garbage bag H2 balloons and intentionally ignited them as I have done flights.

Even several that used gaylord liners. ( a large plastic bag that is a rectangular of 4 by 4 by 8 feet. 128 cuft)
and at best there was a whooshing sound NO POP whatsoever!

Even that video of a large latex balloon probably 6 feet in diameter and 12 feet tall intentionally being ignited with H2 in it did NOT explode.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 4/19/2018 5:38 PM, Bill Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
This fellow claims he is doing this safely (pouring liquid nitrogen into large latex balloons) but I leave it to your opinion if he is doing this safely :-)

Can't give enough praise for this youtube from the University
of Nottingham.

Everyone on this list should take a look at it. Certainly those
who launch with hydrogen.

Pure hydrogen and the optimum stoichiometric mix (two H to one O)
latex balloons filmed by a high speed camera showing exactly what's
going on.

Narration by Sir Martyn Poliakoff CBE.  Distinguished professor and
world class authority on chemistry; the recipient of many honors
and awards.

Hank
____________________________

Dennis Klipa - N8ERF

Jason,

Basically that is the right idea.  If you take appropriate precautions you can be OK.

Technically, hydrogen/oxygen mixtures are some of the easiest to ignite.  This is based on the energy contained in the spark used to ignite the mixture.  Hydrogen/oxygen mixtures will ignite with the weakest of sparks.

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 8:34 PM, Jason Unwin via Groups.Io <generalripper_1999@...> wrote:
The bottom line seems to be one almost has to WORK AT causing the hydrogen to burn. Normal common sense behavior and procedure should not present an unacceptable risk. Am I reading you all right?

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Hank Riley

No, my post did not indicate one way or the other about:

1.  Having to work at causing hydrogen to burn (in a balloon such as we use).

2.  Normal procedures will not entail an unacceptable risk.

In addition, there was at least one other recent post that did not address
#1 and only #2 indirectly; that was Mark Conner's.

Also Kip's post did not speak about #1 or #2, either.

In a later email I will explain what things I found very valuable to know
that were revealed by the Nottingham video (some in slow motion).  Also a
myth that got busted that is held by some in the amateur radio balloon
launching field.