Topics

Helium Supply

Hank Riley

Just one recent account of the situation from an industry trade mag. 

This is just an excerpt.  Suggest reading the whole article (at the link).

Helium: Here we go again, potentially

8 February 2018

For the second time in less than 12 months, we are staring at the prospect of another global helium shortage.

While last year’s feared shortage – brought about by the rather abrupt Qatar embargo situation in the summer – was short-lived at just a three-week shutdown, this new warning appears to have the hallmarks of a potentially more sustained impact.

At the very least, it further highlights the market’s fragilities and reliance upon the BLM-operated US Federal Helium Reserve in Amarillo (Texas), so soon after its exposure to geopolitical events had been starkly underlined.

At the heart of the industry is a reliance on a few mega-sources. Around 75% of all the helium consumed around the world is produced at three locations – Ras Laffan Industrial city in Qatar, ExxonMobil in Wyoming, US, and those helium refining facilities linked to the BLM Pipeline.

This is, therefore, an industry regularly at the mercy of the same old challenges; there seldom seems to be any great conviction that stability will last for long.

Dennis Klipa - N8ERF

Hank,

It is a 300 CuFt tank, I think they call it a C tank but not sure.  The price is $218 out the door.  I have a 5 year tank rental agreement so I don't know what tank rental charges are but probably not much per day.  That way I get to keep the unused helium.

I never had been refused a purchase of helium.  This discussion started when a fellow balloonist in Iowa, Mike, N0MPM, had a problem with Airgas and reported it to the group and I am glad he did.  Today, my local Airgas did confirm that there was a Force Majeure in effect for helium and that it is on allocation but for whatever reason (long term customer with multiple tank contracts **acetylene, oxygen, argon, argon-CO2 and helium**,  sob story about our school balloon launch program or my good looks!!??) they agreed to sell me a tank.

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Hank Riley via Groups.Io <n1ltv@...> wrote:
Dennis,

Thanks for your very informative post about hydrogen.

For the record, could you say what bottle and what the cost was this time?

Why the change from no to yes at Airgas?

Hank

To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [GPSL] Helium Supply

Just a follow up.  Airgas will supply me with the helium we need for our launch
and at about 2/3 the cost from last year.

Hank Riley

Dennis,

Thanks for your very informative post about hydrogen.

For the record, could you say what bottle and what the cost was this time?

Why the change from no to yes at Airgas?

Hank

To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:27 PM

Just a follow up.  Airgas will supply me with the helium we need for our launch
and at about 2/3 the cost from last year.

Dennis Klipa - N8ERF

Just a follow up.  Airgas will supply me with the helium we need for our launch and at about 2/3 the cost from last year.

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Dennis Klipa <klipadk@...> wrote:
That is going to hurt.  We are three weeks away from a launch.  Can't buy helium, can't buy hydrogen.  Hmmm.  Looks like its time to find a new activity. 

Well, I am not ready to give up yet.

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, 5:18 PM Mike, n0mpm <morgamp52@...> wrote:
For those using He, wondering if you have heard on any sales restrictions to private customers?  Our supplier, AirGas, told me today that they can’t sell to any private users, commercial customers are on 80% allocation and only hospitals/medical are allocated at 100%.  These restrictions have been in place for about 4 weeks.  
Just wondering what everyone else is experiencing.   
thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Joe WB9SBD

Out of 60+ flights I think we filled outdoors only3 or 4 times. The rest were all indoor fills.
The Dangers of H2 are highly exaggerated.
Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 4/18/2018 1:37 AM, Jayant Murthy via Groups.Io wrote:
We use only hydrogen because of the cost and because we can't always get helium. We have the tanks delivered a day before launch and store in an isolated place. We only fill the balloons outside where the hydrogen diffuses fast enough to not have safety issues and let teh remaining gas bleed out.

As long as you don't fill in an enclosed area there are no safety issues with hydrogen.
Jayant

On Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 12:03:25 PM GMT+5:30, Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk@...> wrote:

Actually using hydrogen is very safe. We launched 10 balloons at GPSL last year and the year before that and all were using hydrogen.  Walmart helium tanks are manufactured by BalloonTime. They have 8.9 or 14.9 cubic foot of helium inside depending on whether you use the standard or jumbo size tanks (about $25 to $40 each tank). Enough for 3 pico balloons (36-inch Mylar foil balloons) but it would take a lot of those canisters to fly a large latex balloon which would be more expensive than a large tank even with the crazy price gouging they do to private individuals at the big gas supply houses. The other drawback to BalloonTime canisters is that about a year or so ago they started to do a "Specially Formulated blend that won't affect performance". The marketing folks had to work overtime on that one. Turns out that they are now selling 80 percent pure helium instead of the 98 percent pure helium they used to sell....and of course at a higher price. I had a long chat with a manager at their factory in Columbus, Ohio who claimed it wouldn't affect performance at all. Nice to see that marketing folks can change the gas laws :-( They won't consider doing a special run of pure helium either.

So go with a $55 large tank of hydrogen. You'll get better lift performance as a bonus. You will need a CGA-580 to CGA-350 adaptor to use a helium regulator with a hydrogen tank but the adapter can be bought on Amazon for around $15. Also, don't crack open a hydrogen tank unless there is a regulator on it.

I sometimes use the BalloonTime canisters for a Pico balloon flight in a school event since it is very convenient to not have to lug around a large tank.

- Bill WB8ELK

-----Original Message-----
To: gpsl <gpsl@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 18, 2018 1:08 am

I am trying to organize an HAB flight for Civil Air Patrol. Praxair told us they won't sell helium to new customers. There are a lot of safety concerns about hydrogen. Is it possible to make a "blend" of hydrogen and helium that will make it less "dangerous" and lower cost? One group in Illinois is using Walmart helium tanks for their flight. That worked out be crazy expensive per cubic foot.

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Joe WB9SBD

$55 bucks still Bill? Wow! Last tank I got I paid $29.34 and it is still out in the yard :-)

Joe WB9SBD

Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com

On 4/18/2018 1:33 AM, Bill Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
Actually using hydrogen is very safe. We launched 10 balloons at GPSL last year and the year before that and all were using hydrogen.  Walmart helium tanks are manufactured by BalloonTime. They have 8.9 or 14.9 cubic foot of helium inside depending on whether you use the standard or jumbo size tanks (about $25 to $40 each tank). Enough for 3 pico balloons (36-inch Mylar foil balloons) but it would take a lot of those canisters to fly a large latex balloon which would be more expensive than a large tank even with the crazy price gouging they do to private individuals at the big gas supply houses. The other drawback to BalloonTime canisters is that about a year or so ago they started to do a "Specially Formulated blend that won't affect performance". The marketing folks had to work overtime on that one. Turns out that they are now selling 80 percent pure helium instead of the 98 percent pure helium they used to sell....and of course at a higher price. I had a long chat with a manager at their factory in Columbus, Ohio who claimed it wouldn't affect performance at all. Nice to see that marketing folks can change the gas laws :-( They won't consider doing a special run of pure helium either.

So go with a $55 large tank of hydrogen. You'll get better lift performance as a bonus. You will need a CGA-580 to CGA-350 adaptor to use a helium regulator with a hydrogen tank but the adapter can be bought on Amazon for around $15. Also, don't crack open a hydrogen tank unless there is a regulator on it.

I sometimes use the BalloonTime canisters for a Pico balloon flight in a school event since it is very convenient to not have to lug around a large tank.

- Bill WB8ELK

I am trying to organize an HAB flight for Civil Air Patrol. Praxair told us they won't sell helium to new customers. There are a lot of safety concerns about hydrogen. Is it possible to make a "blend" of hydrogen and helium that will make it less "dangerous" and lower cost? One group in Illinois is using Walmart helium tanks for their flight. That worked out be crazy expensive per cubic foot.

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Steve G8KHW / AJ4XE

Ive been researching Operation Outward - a UK WW2 operation that launched 100,000 Hydrogen met balloons over a 2.5 year period (trailing wires and dropping incendiary devices on Germany).  There were many balloon ignition events and several of the operators were badly burned (no fatalities).  Some operators were burned (lost hair/eyebrows) from several meters away.  The balloons were filled outside in large canvas tents - and it would appear that the ignition came from rubbing against the fabric.

Steve G8KHW

On 18/04/2018 07:37, Jayant Murthy via Groups.Io wrote:
We use only hydrogen because of the cost and because we can't always get helium. We have the tanks delivered a day before launch and store in an isolated place. We only fill the balloons outside where the hydrogen diffuses fast enough to not have safety issues and let teh remaining gas bleed out.

As long as you don't fill in an enclosed area there are no safety issues with hydrogen.
Jayant

On Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 12:03:25 PM GMT+5:30, Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk@...> wrote:

- Bill WB8ELK

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Jayant Murthy

Jayant

- Bill WB8ELK

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Bill Brown

- Bill WB8ELK

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

jasonbunwin

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Joe WB9SBD

You may think it is.
Everyone around here thinks this is also the case. But my local guy gets his from somewhere else.

ALSO, those shops that do get it from Airgas still is cheaper than from Airgas. I think they have a policy that puts the price really high when dealing directly with the public in a effort to make you go away. But if you are willing to pay Crazy prices they are willing to take your money too.

You can not be bamboozled into thinking they are the only game in town thats for sure!
Been doing these flights for what Bill? 25 years?

Joe WB9SBD

Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com

On 4/17/2018 8:06 PM, Dennis Klipa - N8ERF wrote:
Bill,

Unfortunately, Airgas is the local Welding supply house.

Best Regards,
Dennis

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, 7:25 PM Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dennis,

Try asking a local welding supply shop. They usually have no problems selling hydrogen and some of them are just as reasonable as going directly to Airgas or just a bit more.

- Bill WB8ELK

To: GPSL <GPSL@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Apr 17, 2018 4:57 pm

My local Airgas won't sell it to me as an individual, despite years of experience handling it for my job.

Next closest supplier is 40 miles away and not sure if they will sell it.  Then I have to sell the idea to the school.  Ugh!

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, 5:35 PM Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:
Can’t buy hydrogen?  Why is that?

Pete
KC0GPB

On Apr 17, 2018, at 4:26 PM, Dennis Klipa - N8ERF <klipadk@...> wrote:

That is going to hurt.  We are three weeks away from a launch.  Can't buy helium, can't buy hydrogen.  Hmmm.  Looks like its time to find a new activity. 

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

For those using He, wondering if you have heard on any sales restrictions to private customers?  Our supplier, AirGas, told me today that they can’t sell to any private users, commercial customers are on 80% allocation and only hospitals/medical are allocated at 100%.  These restrictions have been in place for about 4 weeks.  
thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Dennis Klipa - N8ERF

Bill,

Unfortunately, Airgas is the local Welding supply house.

Best Regards,
Dennis

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, 7:25 PM Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dennis,

Try asking a local welding supply shop. They usually have no problems selling hydrogen and some of them are just as reasonable as going directly to Airgas or just a bit more.

- Bill WB8ELK

My local Airgas won't sell it to me as an individual, despite years of experience handling it for my job.

Next closest supplier is 40 miles away and not sure if they will sell it.  Then I have to sell the idea to the school.  Ugh!

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

Pete
KC0GPB

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Bill Brown

As an addendum. Yes Joe I have indeed found some Mom and Pop welding supply shops that sell hydrogen cheaper than Airgas and their tank rental fees are often less too. Some will even deliver to my farmhouse while Airgas refuses to deliver hydrogen to a private residential address. Some of them will actually give you the hydrogen free and waive the rental fees if you tell them about your activity and they agree to be a sponsor. They can't buy advertising like that any cheaper :-)

- Bill WB8ELK

Sent: Tue, Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Mike,

We did a flight on 4/1 and I got a 150 Helium cylinder from Airgas in San Jose CA with no issues.   

On Apr 17, 2018, at 2:18 PM, Mike, n0mpm <morgamp52@...> wrote:

For those using He, wondering if you have heard on any sales restrictions to private customers?  Our supplier, AirGas, told me today that they can’t sell to any private users, commercial customers are on 80% allocation and only hospitals/medical are allocated at 100%.  These restrictions have been in place for about 4 weeks.  
thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Bill Brown

Dennis,

- Bill WB8ELK

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

Pete
KC0GPB

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

John Kovac KM6GKF

Hi Mike,

We did a flight on 4/1 and I got a 150 Helium cylinder from Airgas in San Jose CA with no issues.   

On Apr 17, 2018, at 2:18 PM, Mike, n0mpm <morgamp52@...> wrote:

For those using He, wondering if you have heard on any sales restrictions to private customers?  Our supplier, AirGas, told me today that they can’t sell to any private users, commercial customers are on 80% allocation and only hospitals/medical are allocated at 100%.  These restrictions have been in place for about 4 weeks.  
thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Joe WB9SBD

Screw Airgas them High priced bags of air!

I went to them ONCE and never ever went back.

Look in the rural, farming, community, local ma & pa hardware stores that sell welding supplies.

I get my H2 from a small engine repair shop that fixes like lawn mowers, roto tillers, etc.

Less than 1/2 the cost as "AirGas" that is 2 miles away.

Joe WB9SBD

Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com

On 4/17/2018 4:56 PM, Dennis Klipa - N8ERF wrote:

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

Pete
KC0GPB

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Dennis Klipa - N8ERF

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

Pete
KC0GPB

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Joe WB9SBD

I understand the HE restrictions, but H2, who said you can't get any?

Joe WB9SBD

Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com

On 4/17/2018 4:26 PM, Dennis Klipa - N8ERF wrote:

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Pete Lilja

Can’t buy hydrogen?  Why is that?

Pete
KC0GPB

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA

Dennis Klipa - N8ERF

Best Regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

thanks,
mike. PENS. 
Pella, IA