From: 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL]
To: GPSL@...
Sent: Wed, Dec 6, 2017 8:27 am
Subject: [GPSL] Transmissions on Balloons

So aside from APRS, WISPR, Hellscriber, ATV, and SSTV, what other transmission types are used in balloons?

And by the way, what did the Romans ever give us?

I assume some ballons have carried did hunting systems as a backup in the past, but today?

Thanks

Leo Bodnar <leo@...>

Few more modes:
Majority of UK flights use[d] RTTY
Some UK flights have used THOR16
Many flights use LoRa modulation now
There were flights on the continent using voice FM transmissions.  I had a B-class payload ready to go but it did not make it into the air, here is off-air test recording http://www.leobodnar.com/balloons/files/B-number-station.wav

Cheers
Leo

  DominoEX, Contestia, JT9 and good ole fashioned CW to name a few.

From: 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...>

So aside from APRS, WISPR, Hellscriber, ATV, and SSTV, what other transmission types are used in balloons?

Jack Crabtree

PSK31 and CW!

On 12/6/2017 7:27:16 AM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] wrote:

So aside from APRS, WISPR, Hellscriber, ATV, and SSTV, what other transmission types are used in balloons?

And by the way, what did the Romans ever give us?

I assume some ballons have carried did hunting systems as a backup in the past, but today?

Thanks

Bill Brown

Ah...thanks Leo, I forgot to mention RTTY. I used that a lot in the early days for telemetry before APRS came onto the scene. I also used an analog voice chip (any of the ISD series) which I could address various voice clips that I prerecorded into the device and used that to send down voice telemetry on FM. ARBONET flew a voice telemetry payload during a GPSL a few years ago. As I recall it said something like "Help I'm lost" when the GPS failed.

From: 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...>

So aside from APRS, WISPR, Hellscriber, ATV, and SSTV, what other transmission types are used in balloons?