Topics

Changed the subject back to APRS :)

Alan Adamson

Ah ha... hence the need for a dynamic path :)... NO-PATH, Wide2-1, ARISS, SGATE, whatever based upon rules... :)...

Now if we just had uplink, we could change the path at will with a message via the aprs network to the tracker.... Oh, at some point.

Sorry, couldn't resist... lol

Alan

On 7/22/2014 4:34 PM, Mike Manes mrmanes@... [GPSL] wrote:
Yes, it is written, "Line of sight is a magic thing", but only when
that line is absent nearby obstructions, like trees, tall grass, etc.
QRO is very helpful for recovery sans "AIR ONE".
73 de Mike W5VSI

On 7/22/14 12:47, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] wrote:
> High power isn't necessary when you have LOS!

James Ewen VE6SRV

Anthony,

Do you have any insight into the different receivers being listed at
spacenear.us?

We saw M0XER-3 pass over Alaska yesterday via APRS, and then go dark
until being picked up again off the coast of Washington this morning.

When looking at the spacenear.us tracking page We can see the full
track from Siberia through to current.

In areas where APRS wasn't present, the data points are further apart,
and the site reports the location receiver as LOG.

Does the payload store tracking data while in flight, and download the
stored information somehow to the network, and into spacenear.us?

--
James
VE6SRV

Anthony Stirk

Hi James,

Yes you got it. The payload stores the last 5 days (I think) of positions every 2 hours then transmits them back in the comments field of APRS at a later date in a cycle. This log is then played back into the tracker so we get an idea where its been even if its out of contact for a few days. The straight line over Russia is where it was missing for over 5 days so data was lost.

Note the loops over Siberia.

Cheers,

Anthony M0UPU

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

Anthony,

Do you have any insight into the different receivers being listed at
spacenear.us?

We saw M0XER-3 pass over Alaska yesterday via APRS, and then go dark
until being picked up again off the coast of Washington this morning.

When looking at the spacenear.us tracking page We can see the full
track from Siberia through to current.

In areas where APRS wasn't present, the data points are further apart,
and the site reports the location receiver as LOG.

Does the payload store tracking data while in flight, and download the
stored information somehow to the network, and into spacenear.us?

--
James
VE6SRV

Mark Conner N9XTN

That is so slick I just can't stand it.......awesome forward thinking.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Anthony Stirk upuaut@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

Leo Bodnar <leo@...>

James,

This is correct, the onboard flight data recorder has the circular buffer containing 64 entries spaced at 2 hour intervals which equates to just over 5 days.

The content of the data log is continuously transmitted together with current data via APRS.

Looking at the raw sentences you will notice that some of them are longer - they contain log data in the comment field.

E.g. in these two lines

M0XER-3>APRS63,WIDE2-1,qAR,VE7AV-4:!/4%r2/6]DO J^;I/A=041200|k2RU(8?0!(|
M0XER-3>APRS63,WIDE2-1,qAR,VE7AV-4:!/4%\6/6akO J^;^d!J[o$6,cV.[%8FNJ`_O@1/A=041177|k3RW(=?.!(|

second one contains extra base-91 encoded log data  ...d!J[o$6,cV.[%8FNJ`_O@1...

I am running the script that looks at aprs-is traffic and catches everything that M0XER-3 sends.  It decodes current and backlog data and sends it to spacenear.us
Current data transmitted with receiver tag "APRS" and historical with a tag "LOG"

After decoding the two packets above become...

1st packet:
$$B-63,6751,213550,140722,52.3066,-123.6668,12558,7,1,4.51,0.66*BAE3
2nd packet:
$$B-63,6752,213611,140722,52.3119,-123.6646,12551,7,1,4.51,0.66*4380 - current position
$$B-63,6097,160002,140722,48.2015,-126.0414,12550,11,10,4.31,0.56*3B75 - historical position from earlier today

Note that all three records have embedded exact timecode of actual position sample and not when aprs-is has received it.
Looking carefully at the packets you will notice J^;I and J^;^, they are decoded into July 22nd 21:35:50 and July 22nd 21:36:11 respectively.

Cheers
Leo

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Mark Conner mconner1@... [GPSL]
<GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

That is so slick I just can't stand it.......awesome forward thinking.
I'll second that!

Leo, you've got some awesome hardware there!

We have a similar type of system that we use for tracking busses, and
other municipal assets. They can go out of range, or have transmitter
failures for days at a time, and once they come back online, they dump
the missing data.

The APRS network isn't equipped to handle that, but obviously you've
worked with SNUS to be able to implement the functionality.

What an excellent system. I love the loitering over Siberia... just
checking out the sights! Hmm, maybe spying on some top secret Soviet
site!

--
James
VE6SRV

James Ewen VE6SRV

Ran a new prediction for current, and am seeing a bigger loop into Nunavut, but a deeper penetration into the Midwest USA.

No word back from my buddies in Yellowknife about getting an i-gate running. We might have to wait for that historical data to be heard once the payload gets into range of Thunder Bay.

--
James
VE6SRV

James Ewen VE6SRV

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

No word back from my buddies in Yellowknife about getting an i-gate running.
Got a reply back from Yellowknife, not enough time to get an i-gate running...

I'm still pestering though!

--
James
VE6SRV

Mark Conner N9XTN

Looking at aprs.fi, it seems like the data is going through an unknown WIDEn-N before reaching VE7VMH - the latter should be outside of direct reception range and there is a WIDE2* in the path.  In any case, we are fortunate to still have coverage this morning even though a Yellowknife station is unavailable.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

> No word back from my buddies in Yellowknife about getting an i-gate running.

Got a reply back from Yellowknife, not enough time to get an i-gate running...

I'm still pestering though!

--
James
VE6SRV

------------------------------------
Posted by: James Ewen <ve6srv@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    GPSL-digest@...
    GPSL-fullfeatured@...

James Ewen VE6SRV

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Mark Conner mconner1@... [GPSL]
<GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

Looking at aprs.fi, it seems like the data is going through an unknown
WIDEn-N before reaching VE7VMH - the latter should be outside of direct
reception range and there is a WIDE2* in the path.
That could be Pink Mountain (http://aprs.fi/VE7RPI) I don't beleive it
ever injects it's callsign. It does digipeat when you pass by though,
and it has a really good line of sight from up on the mountain.

http://aprs.fi/BTLRVR is the most northerly digipeater that Curtis
VE6AEW has set up, and it would just be in range, but it suffered a
failure in April. It's tough to maintain equipment that's 8 hours away
from home!

--
James
VE6SRV

James Ewen VE6SRV

The Yellowknife i-gate is back up and operational. It has been hearing
stations on RF for about an hour and a half now, but nothing from
M0XER-3.

http://aprs.fi/ve6wd-11

Our favourite little payload must already be more that 450 km away
from Yellowknife already.

We'll just have to wait for it to get pushed down to the Great Lakes area now.

Thanks for try guys... welcome back to the rest of the world wide APRS network!

I'll be up there August 20,21,22...

--
James
VE6SRV

James Coxon

B-64 (M0XER-4) is back in range off the coast of Washington State...

James M6JCx

On 24 July 2014 19:03, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

The Yellowknife i-gate is back up and operational. It has been hearing
stations on RF for about an hour and a half now, but nothing from
M0XER-3.

http://aprs.fi/ve6wd-11

Our favourite little payload must already be more that 450 km away
from Yellowknife already.

We'll just have to wait for it to get pushed down to the Great Lakes area now.

Thanks for try guys... welcome back to the rest of the world wide APRS network!

I'll be up there August 20,21,22...

--
James
VE6SRV

Alan Adamson

Bu don't look now, the invasion of the killer "B"'s is taking place... *another B* off the coast of Washington just appeared.

Alan

On 7/24/2014 2:03 PM, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] wrote:
The Yellowknife i-gate is back up and operational. It has been hearing
stations on RF for about an hour and a half now, but nothing from
M0XER-3.

http://aprs.fi/ve6wd-11

Mark Conner N9XTN

There is an Igate in Red Lake MB (VE3YQK) which should pick up M0XER-3 later today if he's still airborne, otherwise it may be a few hours later before the stations farther south in Manitoba and western Ontario pick it up.

But in the meantime, we can all watch M0XER-4 head into Washington.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:
[...]

Current best path guess? Where it is guesstimated to be going?

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 7/24/2014 1:09 PM, Mark Conner mconner1@... [GPSL] wrote:
[...]

Mike Manes

No joy on the VE6 but there are two VE8WD's in Yellowknife.
73 de Mike W5VSI

On 7/24/14 12:03, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] wrote:
The Yellowknife i-gate is back up and operational. It has been hearing
stations on RF for about an hour and a half now, but nothing from
M0XER-3.

http://aprs.fi/ve6wd-11

Our favourite little payload must already be more that 450 km away
from Yellowknife already.

We'll just have to wait for it to get pushed down to the Great Lakes area now.

Thanks for try guys... welcome back to the rest of the world wide APRS network!

I'll be up there August 20,21,22...

James Ewen VE6SRV

Yeah, fat fingers...

Muscle memory makes the third digit a 6!

The i-gate is http://aprs.fi/ve8wd-11

(Just about did a 6 again!)

If there's a change in the winds, http://aprs,fi/M0XER-4 which just
showed up off Oregon will have someone listening for it. Doubtful that
it will wander that far north with the current winds though.