Re: Using BMP pressure sensors on HABs - how accurate?

greg@bigredbee.com

Coming at this from a high powered rocketry perspective, GPS is going to be a lot more accurate than barometric pressure.  Depending on the particular device you're using, it might be hard to get any sort of meaningful data above 80K'.  For altitude records, we are required to use GPS.

Greg K7RKT TRA #7960

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 10:17 AM Michael Hojnowski <kd2eat@...> wrote:
Gang,

I haven't tried in a while, but does anyone use pressure sensors with
much success in HABs?  The reason I ask is that I have a pile of BMPxxx
sensors and it would be no big deal to add them to a data logger, or
other control systems that are altitude oriented.  I tried one years
ago, but the formulas I had for converting pressure to altitude were
generating wildly different results from the GPS. I just punted at the
time.  I've got a bit of renewed interest, now, in having non-GPS
oriented ways to test altitude.  It seems that using pressure could be a
lot more reliable than hoping I get and maintain a GPS lock, especially
if I have other RF activity going on on the payload.

Thoughts?
Mike / KD2EAT