Using BMP pressure sensors on HABs - how accurate?

Michael Hojnowski

Gang,

I haven't tried in a while, but does anyone use pressure sensors with much success in HABs?  The reason I ask is that I have a pile of BMPxxx sensors and it would be no big deal to add them to a data logger, or other control systems that are altitude oriented.  I tried one years ago, but the formulas I had for converting pressure to altitude were generating wildly different results from the GPS. I just punted at the time.  I've got a bit of renewed interest, now, in having non-GPS oriented ways to test altitude.  It seems that using pressure could be a lot more reliable than hoping I get and maintain a GPS lock, especially if I have other RF activity going on on the payload.

Thoughts?
Mike / KD2EAT