Re: NWS Sonde Chase and Recovery

Mark Conner N9XTN

If you have a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 available, radiosonde_auto_rx works very well with most SDRs.

I've found that antennas capable of working the 70cm ham band will work fine for receiving the 403 MHz sondes.  I have a short dual-band mobile mounted at 25 ft AGL and can receive DFM-17 sondes at over 500 km distance.  Much easier than the 1680 MHz band sondes.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 11:23 AM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:
Anyone have a link for the SondeMonitor? I saw a little Arduino based unit for the first time a few weeks ago.

Are there multiple versions, or is there just one that has been developed?

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 10:20 k6sts via groups.io <k6sts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Congrats Cliff, looks like a RS-41.  And yes it is addictive.
Have fun,
Cheers,
Doug k6sts.  Living in Florida

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 11:59 AM, Clif Brown
Decided to try my hand at chasing and recovering a NWS balloon. This one was was launched at 7AM from Peachtree City, GA and landed in East Cobb (NW Metro ATL). The homeowner was very friendly and grateful to have someone get the orange parachute out of his pine tree.

I used sondehub.org prediction to get me to the general area and then tracked using an SDR-RTL/HDSDR/SondeMonitor with a 2M whip antenna (mag mount).

GPS was dead on.  The payload was in a pine tree in a residential neighborhood.

Recovery was easier than any of my three HAB launches.

This WxSonde chasing could be addictive.  Most of the fun of HAB at a fraction of the cost.

Cliff
KW4CL

--
James