Re: BASE 110 Flight Summary

BASE_DePauw

Carl,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Having studied arcs and sparks in gases for forty-five years I understand corona discharge and steps to eliminate the effect.  However, we have flown this specific type of array since 2013 with no corona issues.  The problem is that the students this summer did not do a good job of anchoring the array in the payload, but they will discover that tomorrow.  The most dramatic fluctuations were when the payload was on the ground and being attached to the flight string.

Such is the life of summer research with students, when the students change each year or in this case, a few years due to campus COVID restrictions.  This group should not make this mistake again.

Probably will fly again late next week.

Thanks again for the suggestion,
Howard

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 4:06 PM ctlyster <ctlyster@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is Carl WA4ADG. When operating a Geiger counter or any high voltage device in a reduced atmospheric pressure there is a rang of pressure where the air breaks down and conducts heavily. This often is misinterpreted as an increase in radiation when in reality it is noise.

The cure is to coat everything with insulation such as silicone,  to prevent corona discharge. I fight this at work all of the time.

73'S

Carl