Re: Flight Predictions

Mark Jessop

I developed chasemapper for this exact purpose a *long* time ago now: https://github.com/projecthorus/chasemapper
This is what we use in our chase cars, and it lets us very reliably be at the landing site of our flights, ready to watch the payloads land.

This is a server application which shows your chase car and balloon position, and runs predictions live throughout the flight. The interface is visible on a web browser, which could be run on a laptop or a tablet. Multiple clients can connect if required.
It can either use the online 'Tawhiri' prediction API (which requires internet access), or it can be configured to download the relevant section of the GFS wind model, for use offline.

I run this on a raspberry pi in the back of my car, which is also running telemetry reception software (horusdemodlib, for my 4FSK modulation).
I believe Mike Hojnowski has some code to relay in APRS balloon traffic.

73
Mark VK5QI

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 4:14 AM Steve G8KHW / AJ4XE <steve@...> wrote:

Joe, the HABhub tracker does this - it takes the transmitted data (position and altitude) from the balloon and corrects the predicted trajectory based on where the balloon currently is, how fast its ascending/descending etc.

I addition the Raspberry Pi  Pi-In-the-sky (PITS) software can (if configured) do onboard calculations based on ascent and descent rates to calculate a landing spot.  That predicted landing spot is transmitted along with other data.  The Pi calculated landing spot can be overlaid on the HABhub tracker (in addition to the trackers own prediction of landing spot) and can also be taken directly by the chase vehicles.

Here are a couple of videos of the HABhub tracker predicting the landing spot  during real flights:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56zByLnHAaQ                              keep you eye on the blue line and dot (HABhub prediction) and the red X that of PITS

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvvuX0q0I8                               The red red line and dot is the HABhub prediction - the red X that of PITS

    Steve G8KHW

On 18/06/2022 18:45, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
I remember many many years ago,

One of the Flight prediction pages, was making a semi ummm HY-Brid system?
Or it was   I don't know.  but see this was what it was gonna do.

You made a prediction giving the page,

Launch Location,
Burst altitude,
Rate of climb,
Rate of decent.

And it would tell you where it should land.

Now someone was working on a system, where you did this prediction,
and it would make the prediction of landing site as well as path of the flight of course.

But then when you released your balloon, you could input this new live sonde data, ALL BY ITSELF AUTOMATICALLY,
where it now is taking in the new rate of climb, speed of movement (wind speed)
etc. all this "LIVE" data, and it would automatically on it's own constantly up-date the new predicted landing site.

Did this ever become a reality?

Joe WB9SBD
NEAR SPACE SCIENCES KB9KHO