Re: Flight Predictions

Jerry

I started looking at doing this but never finished it.  Most people seem happy with habhub for predictions so I haven't done much with https://s3research.com/tools/flightpredictor/ lately.  Michael Hojnowski was looking at adding code for this in a tracker.  The idea is it would show the balloon location and a predicted landing point as well.  From my experiments it really isn't updated wind info that makes the greatest difference in the prediction, it is the more accurate ascent and decent rates.  I used to rerun the predictions after GPSL with the original wind data and just corrected rates.  The results were surprisingly accurate. The image below is the 2016 GPSL comparison.

Inline image

Jerry

On Saturday, June 18, 2022, 10:44:03 AM MST, Joe WB9SBD <nss@...> wrote:

I remember many many years ago,

One of the Flight prediction pages, was making a semi ummm HY-Brid system?
Or it was   I don't know.  but see this was what it was gonna do.

You made a prediction giving the page,

Launch Location,
Burst altitude,
Rate of climb,
Rate of decent.

And it would tell you where it should land.

Now someone was working on a system, where you did this prediction,
and it would make the prediction of landing site as well as path of the flight of course.

But then when you released your balloon, you could input this new live sonde data, ALL BY ITSELF AUTOMATICALLY,
where it now is taking in the new rate of climb, speed of movement (wind speed)
etc. all this "LIVE" data, and it would automatically on it's own constantly up-date the new predicted landing site.

Did this ever become a reality?

Joe WB9SBD
NEAR SPACE SCIENCES KB9KHO