High Altitude Balloon Launch on Saturday, 10/9/2021 at 12:00pm EDT

Michael Hojnowski

Hello,

The Amateur Radio Club at Cornell will be launching a High Altitude Balloon Saturday afternoon, October 9, 2021 at 12:00pm EDT.  We'll launch from the vicinity of Odessa, NY with a predicted landing near Locke, NY at approximately 2:17pm.   This is a second attempt for the aborted launch last week.  Our balloon suffered a rupture prior to flight.

The flight will have several redundant trackers onboard.  They'll be beaconing on APRS on W2CXM-11 and W2CXM-12.  They will also have an experimental LoRa based tracker which will be uploaded to Habhub as W2CXM-10. (Geeky details: ESP32 TTGO T-Beam transmitting custom telemetry on 915 MHZ LoRa at 100mw).

You can follow along with the balloons and chase vehicles at:

https://aprs.fi/#!kml=http%3A%2F%2Fthehojos.com%2F~mqh1%2Fsail9.kml&call=a%2FKD2EAT-9%2Ca%2FW2CXM-11%2Ca%2FW2CXM-12%2Ca%2FW2CXM-8&timerange=21600&tail=21600

In flight predictions, and hopefully, our experimental tracker will show up on HabHub here:

https://tracker.habhub.org/#!mt=roadmap&mz=7&qm=1_day&mc=42.47022,-76.47982&q=!RS_

Finally, for the duration of the flight, we will be running a Zoom session.  People are welcomed to join and chat during the flight. The chase vehicles will be connecting as well.  I'll be on there with audio-only since I'll be in and out of internet coverage as I chase the balloon.  Please note, there may be long periods of silence, and we’ll be quite busy during pre-launch setup.  Feel free to chat amongst yourselves.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cornell.zoom.us/j/99753914456?pwd=Sy80UUdKZ2pRalR5WXVaWFVTZlZkUT09

Meeting ID: 997 5391 4456

Passcode: 563578

One tap mobile

+16465189805,,99753914456# US (New York)

+16468769923,,99753914456# US (New York)

Dial by your location

        +1 646 518 9805 US (New York)

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

Finally, if you should decide to join us on the chase, we request that if you arrive at the landing location that you leave the payload undisturbed so that the students can get pictures and such. Also, please do not enter anyone's property without obtaining permission first.

Now sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.

Mike / KD2EAT

Advisor, Amateur Radio Club at Cornell