Re: Balloon fight for grade 6 students

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I'm thinking of small airplane servos. You can get them from parallax.com. They run off a four-battery pack.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 11:46 AM Jules Hojnowski <jah1690@...> wrote:
Oh ok, i just remembered the servo we made and put on was more than a few ozs :)

Jules

From: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io> on behalf of L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2021 1:39:08 PM
To: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [GPSL] Balloon fight for grade 6 students

Servos are only a few ounces. A PICAXE or BASIC Stamp is easy to program and has a command specifically for servos.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 11:09 AM Jules Hojnowski <jah1690@...> wrote:
That is a great idea, but would that not make a lot of extra weight?

And i think making servos would be very labour intensive? I have not seen any ready mady tiny ones to buy. Just a thought.

Jules

From: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io> on behalf of L. Paul Verhage KD4STH <nearsys@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2021 12:45:18 PM
To: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [GPSL] Balloon fight for grade 6 students

How about covering the beads with a light shield and then using a servo to open the shield. You could do this at different altitudes with different beads. Using video, you could determine how long it takes for the beads to darken. I am assuming the faster they darken, the greater the UV intensity. Students would need to program a microcontroller to position the servos at different times during the flight.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 10:08 AM Mike, n0mpm <n0mpm52@...> wrote:
Amazon is your friend as well as many STEM educational websites.  I forgot to mention we tried smearing some different sunblock products on them to see what would happen....I think by the time we got up to altitude, all the sunscreen products were overwhelmed with UV ....Colors get darker the higher you go...
mike

Join GPSL@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.