Re: PENS-10p. It’s a Wrap

Bill Brown

Congrats to the PENS-10p team. It is great to see how this project has inspired the students (and adults).

From: Mike, n0mpm <n0mpm52@...>
To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jan 17, 2021 6:48 pm
Subject: [GPSL] PENS-10p. It’s a Wrap

It’s great to see 170 Jefferson 5th graders receive their “World Travelers” certificate documenting 4 trips around the world for our Pico Balloon, PENS-10p.  During these past 2 months the students learned about balloons and atmospheric science, tracked the voyage, predicted the future path, discovered new countries, provided interviews for local NBC and CBS TV stations, and had fun discussing the experiment with friends and family.

One student told me that her father, an engineering supervisor at Vermeer Corp, would end his weekly staff meetings with an update on the balloon progress.  One day he forgot until his staff demanded they put APRS.fi up on the screen!  It’s great to see projects like this spark the imagination of young and old alike!

Guess what?  I had as much fun as the students!