Re: PENS-10p. It’s a Wrap

Mark Garrett

What a fantastic way for students to get involved with a project that takes them around the world on a balloon they helped launch.  I hope they can keep track of future efforts as it fun to follow along and maybe get a few siblings to get into the class.

On Sunday, January 17, 2021, 06:48:28 PM CST, Mike, n0mpm <n0mpm52@...> wrote:

It’s great to see 170 Jefferson 5th graders receive their “World Travelers” certificate documenting 4 trips around the world for our Pico Balloon, PENS-10p.  During these past 2 months the students learned about balloons and atmospheric science, tracked the voyage, predicted the future path, discovered new countries, provided interviews for local NBC and CBS TV stations, and had fun discussing the experiment with friends and family.

One student told me that her father, an engineering supervisor at Vermeer Corp, would end his weekly staff meetings with an update on the balloon progress.  One day he forgot until his staff demanded they put APRS.fi up on the screen!  It’s great to see projects like this spark the imagination of young and old alike!

Guess what?  I had as much fun as the students!