Re: Helium in a tank?

Larry

I called and he assured me it was pure helium.  ???  I can't see another explanation why it didn't lift.  Anyway after checking the cost of gas and the cost of conversion ....  Hydrogen here we come

Larry

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 8:39 PM steve potter <spotterotter@...> wrote:
I ran into that with a tank from oxarc, entire s cyl and it didn't lift off the ground and by the calculations we did the s cyl should of been a couple of extra cubic feet. It was great that a fellow ham invited lived about a quarter mile away from the launch site and had a tank at his house. He's not even into balloons but apparently we are all a bit different than the rest of the world.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020, 11:40 AM K. Mark Caviezel via groups.io <kmcaviezel=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Caution:
I have encountered at least two industrial gas suppliers that offer lower cost 'balloon grade helium' which is not 99% or better helium.(!)  It is 30%-40% nitrogen.  The thought and rationale is that for normal party balloons, the inclusion of lower cost nitrogen allows persons to fully inflate party balloons, they'll float just fine and a bit cheaper than going with pure helium.  And this will very seriously screw up lift and burst calculations if you use it in a high altitude balloon. I've never used it.  But both times it was offered to me it took a surprising amount of dialog with the industrial gas guys to suss out that it is a 60-40 or 70-30% mix of helium and nitrogen. I don't necessarily fault the guys working at the industrial gas suppliers, they've undoubtedly been briefed that their balloon grade helium is the best stuff for filling balloons.  For 99+% of their customers that are filling balloons it probably is.