Re: Seeing K7HAK11 in waterfall and copying VA5BNC15 direct on APRS here in Alabama

Bill Brown

K7HAK-11 is now near Lexington KY....it flew about 40 km NE of Baraboo WI but probably 3 hours after sunset from my estimate so wouldn't have been visible. VA5BNC-15 flew 40 km west of you around 2223Z but that would've been too far away as well to visually see it. The ones I have spotted visually at that altitude (K6STS, SA6BSS, YO3ICT, SP9UOB and mine) have typically been within 5 miles of me to be able to see them flashing in the sunlight...many have told me that my balloon magnet is very powerful :-). Easiest to see when the Sun angle is lower and the Sun is at your back.

From: Joe WB9SBD <nss@...>
To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jul 13, 2020 10:19 am
Subject: Re: [GPSL] Seeing K7HAK11 in waterfall and copying VA5BNC15 direct on APRS here in Alabama

where do you think K7HAK is located Bill?
I asked last night for anyones guess and no one had an answer. It may have gone right over me. after sundown so may have been even visible.
Joe WB9SBD

On 7/13/2020 10:11 AM, Bill Brown via groups.io wrote:
Nice signal on VA5BNC-15 from 200 miles distance as it flies towards me.  Copying it direct on 144.390 MHz and i-Gating it here. I also see K7HAK-11 in the waterfall at 300 miles distance but too weak at that range to decode it.  I could also see KC7VQR-11 last night at 350 miles in the waterfall display as it flew across Indiana.