Re: Flight recap from Project: Traveler/NSTAR

Zack Clobes W0ZC

Yeah, and i intentionally didn't do any post-editing on these photos so as to not mask the problem, etc. Normally I would touch them up a bit before posting.

I'm torn, as I think the optics are decent on this camera and (with processing) would be better than the old Canon that I have CHDK running on. Having the Pi really opens up a whole new world when I'm working with a school to let the kids do some programming on it. But if I can't get a steady supply of these things then I don't know if it's worth pursuing this option. It was nice because I had maybe $80 is the whole solution and could easily reduce that by going with the Pi Zero for instance.

Zack

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 4:11 PM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Often making the image better looking makes the lens/sensor defects more tolerable.

Nothing fancy in the way of image software was employed here.  Freeware from something like 14 years ago.  Global brightness, contrast, saturation, and sharpness were adjusted.

Probably overdid the darkening, but it demonstrates what can be done.  With something fancy like Photoshop or equivalent, the pink problem could be selectively worked upon.

I think the RPi lens/image sensor system looks really awful, at least the one you got, since this pink haze is happening barely after leaving the ground.  Looks like it's maybe all due to the sensor, not the lens.  Shouldn't have to rework this kind of simple picture; the same thing could happen on the ground at the beach.

Inline image