Re: Flight recap from Project: Traveler/NSTAR

Steve G8KHW / AJ4XE

Actually that does look more like the problem.

    Steve

On 12/07/2020 21:43, Zack Clobes W0ZC wrote:
Yeah, I was just doing some more digging. The Ras Pi forums are referring to it as a "lens correction" issue. Looks like it's a defined problem, although the solution may involve some hand-tuning.

Zack

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 3:39 PM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Zack,

It's certainly apparent what you're talking about and it would be disappointing to anyone.

Using the commonplace meaning of chromatic aberration (of two distinct types), what you have is not chromatic aberration.  I'll get a better look tonight but some of the images look as if they're suffering from big differences in brightness, the effect of which is similar superficially to "lens flare" but not the same.

Regarding "lens distortions," this phrase is usually used to refer only to departures from rectilinearity, so it's a geometric or topological deficiency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Hank

On Sunday, July 12, 2020, Zack wrote:

I uploaded a few photos from yesterday's flight.

As I dug into the photos from that RasPi  camera, I'm seeing a lot of lens distortion (chromatic aberrations) which is quite disappointing.