From: Garrett, Mark <ma-garrett@...>
To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jun 14, 2020 12:04 pm
Subject: Re: [GPSL] KF4ZTI 11 latex floater now over Tulsa OK

I am the same way.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:
If it was within a few hours of me, I *know* I would head out and retrieve it.

Like a dog after a ball!

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Garrett, Mark <ma-garrett@...> wrote:
I believe so since it transmits on 144.390 and 144.340 thereabouts.  There are openings in that area so possibly it made it to one of those.  I know if it was close to me I would head out.  Might be a nice drive in the country at the worst.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
I've been texting with Harry this morning. Said he was trying to get a local to find a final location.

Final location looks to be pretty heavily wooded. Is this one of Bill's balloons???

Zack

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 11:51 AM Garrett, Mark <ma-garrett@...> wrote:
It is coming down.  Harry, you gonna retrieve it?

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
The floater seems to be descending slowly.

As for the visual, yes they look like a star in the day fly. They're really cool to watch and especially when they pop.

Zack

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 9:38 AM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:
Harry might be wearing glasses if he has bad vision. Most likely just using his eyes.

A 1200 gram balloon at that altitude is easy to spot. It will be a little white dot in the sky.

The balloon will be about 30 feet or so across.

It is kind of hard to imagine being able to see a balloon so far away until you actually see one. I recall seeing my first HAB at altitude and being amazed that I could see it.

One flight we did, we put a very light payload in a 1 cu ft styrofoam box with no parachute. Just a tumble recovery.

I was watching the flight with binoculars when the balloon burst. I was able to watch the box fall to the earth.

I watched it down to about 30,000 feet where I foolishly thought “I’ll have a look for be box with my naked eyes!”. I was unable to find the box with the binoculars after that.

Recovered the payload a couple miles from where we were watching the burst.

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,

What kind of optical aid is Harry using?  Very appropriate he of all people is getting that treat.

Hank
_______________________

On Sunday, June 14, 2020, 10:24:04 AM EDT, Bill wrote:

Harry KC5TRB has a visual sighting of the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater as it flies nearly over the top of his house in Tulsa OK at 108,000 feet. It has been flying now for 25 hours.

--
James
VE6SRV

Zack