Re: KF4ZTI 11 latex floater now over Tulsa OK

Bill Brown

The KF4ZTI-11 latex floater has landed just north of Warwick OK after almost a 28-hour flight. Batteries should last until around 6 or 7 pm.  Harry KC5TRB has a local ham from Stillwater in the area listening for it but he doesn't have a way to decode APRS so he is going to listen for the packet bursts and see if he can spot the parachute. We have the landing site predicted along Rd N3380 (north-south road) near the intersection of Rd E880(east-west) plus or minus a half mile or so along N3380 Rd.

35.741N -96.982W  is the center of the search area.  

If anyone in the Oklahoma City region has APRS mobile or portable here's your chance for balloon chase and recovery.

- Bill WB8ELK

-----Original Message-----
To: GPSL@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jun 14, 2020 12:04 pm
Subject: Re: [GPSL] KF4ZTI 11 latex floater now over Tulsa OK

I am the same way.  

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:
If it was within a few hours of me, I *know* I would head out and retrieve it. 

Like a dog after a ball!

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Garrett, Mark <ma-garrett@...> wrote:
I believe so since it transmits on 144.390 and 144.340 thereabouts.  There are openings in that area so possibly it made it to one of those.  I know if it was close to me I would head out.  Might be a nice drive in the country at the worst.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
I've been texting with Harry this morning. Said he was trying to get a local to find a final location. 

Final location looks to be pretty heavily wooded. Is this one of Bill's balloons???

Zack

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 11:51 AM Garrett, Mark <ma-garrett@...> wrote:
It is coming down.  Harry, you gonna retrieve it?

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM Zack Clobes W0ZC <zclobes@...> wrote:
The floater seems to be descending slowly.

As for the visual, yes they look like a star in the day fly. They're really cool to watch and especially when they pop.

Zack

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 9:38 AM James Ewen VE6SRV <ve6srv@...> wrote:
Harry might be wearing glasses if he has bad vision. Most likely just using his eyes. 

A 1200 gram balloon at that altitude is easy to spot. It will be a little white dot in the sky. 

The balloon will be about 30 feet or so across. 

It is kind of hard to imagine being able to see a balloon so far away until you actually see one. I recall seeing my first HAB at altitude and being amazed that I could see it. 

One flight we did, we put a very light payload in a 1 cu ft styrofoam box with no parachute. Just a tumble recovery.  

I was watching the flight with binoculars when the balloon burst. I was able to watch the box fall to the earth. 

I watched it down to about 30,000 feet where I foolishly thought “I’ll have a look for be box with my naked eyes!”. I was unable to find the box with the binoculars after that. 

Recovered the payload a couple miles from where we were watching the burst. 

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,

What kind of optical aid is Harry using?  Very appropriate he of all people is getting that treat.

Hank

On Sunday, June 14, 2020, 10:24:04 AM EDT, Bill wrote:

Harry KC5TRB has a visual sighting of the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater as it flies nearly over the top of his house in Tulsa OK at 108,000 feet. It has been flying now for 25 hours.

--
James
VE6SRV

Zack

--
James
VE6SRV

--
Mark Garrett
Tri States Public Radio
WIUM Macomb, IL
WIUW Warsaw, IL
WVKC Galesburg, IL
K292GR Burlington, IA
Office (309) 298-1104
Cell    (309) 255-6987
Fax    (309) 298-2133

Join GPSL@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.