Re: KF4ZTI 11 latex floater now over Tulsa OK

James Ewen VE6SRV

Harry might be wearing glasses if he has bad vision. Most likely just using his eyes.

A 1200 gram balloon at that altitude is easy to spot. It will be a little white dot in the sky.

The balloon will be about 30 feet or so across.

It is kind of hard to imagine being able to see a balloon so far away until you actually see one. I recall seeing my first HAB at altitude and being amazed that I could see it.

One flight we did, we put a very light payload in a 1 cu ft styrofoam box with no parachute. Just a tumble recovery.

I was watching the flight with binoculars when the balloon burst. I was able to watch the box fall to the earth.

I watched it down to about 30,000 feet where I foolishly thought “I’ll have a look for be box with my naked eyes!”. I was unable to find the box with the binoculars after that.

Recovered the payload a couple miles from where we were watching the burst.

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Hank Riley via groups.io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,

What kind of optical aid is Harry using?  Very appropriate he of all people is getting that treat.

Hank

On Sunday, June 14, 2020, 10:24:04 AM EDT, Bill wrote:

Harry KC5TRB has a visual sighting of the KF4ZTI-11 latex floater as it flies nearly over the top of his house in Tulsa OK at 108,000 feet. It has been flying now for 25 hours.

--
James
VE6SRV