Re: The properties of latex / was Re: [GPSL] COVID-19 and GPSL

BASE_DePauw

This conversation reminds me of some work my students did several years ago.  Attached are a few slides from our presentation at the 2013 GPSL in Pella.

That work was inspired by Ron K6RPT's long duration floaters and relates to Joe WB9SBD's comments about the stretching of latex.

If you revisit CNSP (Ron's) flight to Morroco, the float altitude increased each daylight period.  A  simple explanation would be that the strong UV in the stratosphere degraded the latex, reducing its tensile strength, and eventually allowing the balloon to reach burst diameter.

Howard, KC9QBN
BASE_DePauw