Re: COVID-19 and GPSL

Mark Conner N9XTN
 

It's obvious that there is enthusiasm for a virtual GPSL for this year if it should be necessary.  I will be contacting UNO in the near future to see if they have already made decision about the campus for the summer session.  

We will also work to broadcast the sessions in some form whether we do a virtual or in-person GPSL.  I think the UNO venue has the ability to support that with decent sound (wireless mic for presenter, audience mic for questions).

I am watching an Omaha news conference where the head of the Nebraska Med Center is saying he expects restrictions to be in place for 10-12 weeks, which would bring us into June.  If that happens, that may be a little late to make venue arrangements.  I am still thinking that if we don't have a high probability of pulling off an in-person event by June 1, we'll decide to go virtual.  

If we do have an in-person GPSL, I'd like to encourage others who don't attend to launch at the same time from their own sites.  It'd be fantastic to see as many balloons as possible in the air at the same time.  I propose a launch time of 1400Z (10am ET/7am PT) on July 11th to allow for maximum participation across the US and Canada yet still have plenty of the day for recovery.  Also, a mix of floaters and conventional balloons would be nice to see as well.

73 de Mark N9XTN






On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:19 PM Mark Conner <mconner1@...> wrote:
I've had a couple of emails asking about GPSL 2020 in light of the COVID-19 outbreak.  

So far, there is nothing that would prevent us from going forward.  However, I have indirectly heard that the University of Nebraska system is doing some (contingency?) planning for teaching summer classes online only.  Our Friday session is planned to be at Nebraska's Omaha campus - if that is closed, we'd have to relocate.

Of course, at this date, it's hard to say whether various travel and gathering restrictions will be lifted in the next four months - I'm sure we all hope so.

I'm not sure how far in advance attendees will have to make commitments that will be hard to get out of.  I assume we'd have to fish or cut bait by around June 1st.  If your group would need an earlier decision, let me know.

73 de Mark N9XTN

Join GPSL@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.