Re: COVID-19 and GPSL

Joe WB9SBD

That did NOT answer either of my questions.

Joe WB9SBD

On 3/22/2020 2:48 PM, stan siems wrote:

latex balloons degrade very fast when exposed to UV  especially so at high altitude. also get brittle at 130 deg temps

On 3/22/2020 2:39 PM, Joe WB9SBD wrote:
Michael,

Do you know this as a fact, or something you have heard?

And degrade fast, how fast is fast?

Joe WB9SBD

On 3/22/2020 1:47 PM, Michael wrote:
The latex balloons degrade quickly in UV so a longer flight can be realized with a UV resistant envelope, Ron makes these in his shop.

--Michael Willett

On Mar 22, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Jerry via Groups.Io <jerrygable@...> wrote:

My understanding is Ron Meadows started http://www.scientificballoonsolutions.com/.  One of these balloons was what Alan Adamson used on his 2 year flight.  Ron originally did flights on latex balloons with distance and longevity as the goal.  One of his latex balloons went from California to Morocco.

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 11:20:49 AM MST, stan siems <ssiems@...> wrote:

who is Ron and what are his balloons?  I have only been here for a few days  newbe old guy!!

On 3/22/2020 12:52 PM, Michael wrote:
My original post on this suggested classes, unlimited, party ballon, etc. an we could additionally qualify winning with fastest laps, distance traveled, countries crossed, nearly an unlimited number of classes including fun ones like born again, slowest, etc

--Michael Willett

On Mar 22, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Jerry via Groups.Io <jerrygable@...> wrote:

We could do the floater race even if we have an in person gpsl.  As Stan pointed out, do we need weight or size classes?  What if I go buy one of Ron's big balloons?

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 9:37:26 AM MST, Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk@...> wrote:

I'm all for a simultaneous Floater Race if we do a virtual GPSL.