From: GPSL@groups.io <GPSL@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Deaton via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 10:27 PM
To: GPSL@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GPSL] Recovery mystery

Hey John (KM6GKF),

I grabbed the packets from your flight off of findu.com and manually put them into the EOSS (Edge of Space Sciences) tracker software to see where it would plot a landing prediction.  This is what came out for coords:  37.09720, -120.30523.  This looks to be just short of a km East of the last position.

Some screen shots:

There is some error here as I had to perform some “shenanigans” to get the system to process packets without a timestamp.

Granted, at this point it might be too little too late.  Sorry you lost ‘er.  :(

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Deaton

N6BA

On Feb 26, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk@...> wrote:

I always fly a SPOT Trace unit (and often fly two Trace units for redundancy) on my larger latex flights as a backup recovery unit. I recommend shaking it right before liftoff to make sure it starts up. I also highly recommend setting it up for the 24 hour status update which includes its current location coordinates. I have had one sitting on my desk for almost a whole year doing nothing but the 24 hour status transmission and the batteries are still good. The bad news for the SPOT units is that the altitude is not very accurate, if it is displayed at all, and the unit generally doesn't work above 40,000 feet but usually comes back to life below that altitude on the way back down. Not recommend for a primary or standalone tracker but it sure is a great backup recovery unit.

On earlier models of the SPOT unit I have had them turn off by bouncing around inside a payload and hitting the buttons. I solved that by removing the rubber button assembly and just pushing on the metal snap button on the PC board before flight but so far have not seen the vacuum problem pulling in the button on the Trace unit. It is possible that on a very hard landing that the impact caused your Trace unit to reset and stop working.

I typically fly two APRS trackers, one Iridium tracker (my own design which has an onboard uBlox GPS and sensor) and one or two SPOT Trace units on a big flight particularly if there is a lot of expensive camera equipment onboard. The Iridium tracker sends an email with its location every 5 minutes and gives altitude and positions throughout the entire flight. I wrote a Python program to grab the data from the email and post it to APRS.FI to show up on the tracking maps. You can also send commands via email up to the Iridium tracker to turn things on/off or do a cutdown.

The main message is to have triple or quadruple tracker redundancy to ensure recovery with a mix of ham radio and satellite modem trackers (Iridium or GlobalStar (SPOT)).

As to the GoPro camera, Make sure you have a large enough memory card to make it through a 3-hour mission. The Backup battery or an external power source is advised as well.  The recording mode makes a big difference too. If you are using 4K mode, you may not have enough memory card space or battery capacity to make it through a full mission and could also overheat.I have had good luck mounting the GoPro body through the styrofoam wall of a payload with a thin foamcore faceplate glued in place with holes for the button, light sensor and camera lens which are exposed to the elements. I haven't had one overheat in that arrangement.