Re: KD0VJI11 latex floater over North Dakota Athens AL N4SEV11 floater and PB0AHX1 floater with APRS and RTTY

Michael

I presented some data on measurements at the neck of a balloon during the flight quite some time back. I did not equate it to floater success as success was not yet achieved with our tests, :) but it made for a very interesting observation of what pressure is seen at the neck of the balloon. In short, the pressure at the balloon neck is fairly high at initial fill, drops to near zero or at zero at altitude and then spikes up noticeably at the point of mechanical maximum right before burst. It was our intention to sence that spike, release some helium and achieve near neutrality for radio contacts in an on board repeater, followed by outgassing enough to return to earth at a fixed rate. Work got in the way of continuing this effort. :)

--Michael Willett

On Jun 24, 2019, at 11:17 PM, Bill Brown via Groups.Io <wb8elk@...> wrote:

Hi Gur,

  Empirically, I have planned quite a few latex floater flights using lightweight payloads and low free lift. My best success has been with payloads under 2.5 pounds and just a few ounces of positive lift. Less than 250 ft/min ascent rate can often achieve float with lightweight payloads. However, the best balloons to use for this are 1200 gram or larger. NG0X managed to float a payload on a 1000 gram balloon. However, this balloon (KD0VJI-11) was just a small 600 gram balloon. But the total flight train weight was just over 2 ounces with about 3 ounces of free lift and it worked great, which is quite an accomplishment for such a small balloon and an amazing peak altitude for a 600 gram balloon as well (101,430 feet).

  But apparently the amount of lifting gas was below the breaking force of the latex until the UV radiation eventually degraded the latex after a day or two.

  There was a paper presented at GPSL a few years ago describing this effect to predict the success conditions for floating a latex balloon measuring the internal pressure of the balloon during flight. Does anyone remember who gave that talk or have a copy of it?