Re: GPSL 2020 - Omaha, NE

Jeff Ducklow

Hi Mark -

I’ve not been able to attend GPSL since my first one in 2015 due to family commitments on Father’s day weekend.  So I’m excited about the possibility of attending the one you are hosting next year in Omaha.  Thank you.

From my own experience of recovery in farm fields in the spring, I wholly agree the earlier the better.  I’ve had good recovery success when the corn / soybeans are just planted or barely out of the ground in Minnesota in late April into May.  So I’m wondering, would an even earlier GPSL date be possible / better?

Again, thanks for leading this! Looking forward to GPSL 2020.

Jeff Ducklow
Mayberry Galactic
N0NQN

On Jun 15, 2019, at 11:29 PM, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:

I hope everyone had a great time in Pella at this year's Super Launch.  Sorry I wasn't able to make it - in addition to all the work stuff, I spent a good chunk of today buying and installing a new dryer after our 12-year-old one crapped out yesterday.  I would much rather have been chasing balloons.

The College World Series is scheduled for June 12-24 in Omaha.  This event books up hotel rooms throughout the metro, even extending to Fremont and Lincoln.  The hotel rates will usually run double the normal through those dates, and they're difficult to find even at the inflated prices.

Earlier I threw out June 6 as a possible weekend, but after reviewing my own calendar I think this would be hard for me to do, as I'll be out of town attending graduations up until the Monday before.

I am thinking instead of June 25-27 or July 9-11.  Keep in mind that by July 9th the corn will probably be 6 ft or taller, and will be even taller yet as we go deeper in July.  In late June is more like waist to shoulder high.

Some ideas for a Thursday event:
  • Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum:  We did this at GPSL 2012 - I don't know if this would be too much of a "rerun" or if people would like to see it again.  We should have enough people to qualify for a guided tour by a docent, which adds a lot to the experience.
  • Henry Doorly Zoo:  Omaha has one of the top-rated zoos in the US.  I've looked on the website to see if they offer guided tours, but apparently they only do that for school groups.  This would be a show up, walk the zoo independently, and depart when you're done sort of event.  This is also a good experience on your own before/after the scheduled GPSL stuff.
  • Local manufacturing plant tour(s):  There are two places here in Omaha that I know of that offer factory tours - Rotella's Italian Bread and Claas (combine manufacturer).  Both of these are relatively short tours (1.5-2 hours) so I think we could do them both - they are only a couple miles apart, too.  Valmont here in Valley has a pretty large facility that might be worth seeing but I don't know if they offer any tours - I'll check into it.
If you have any thoughts on the dates or Thursday events, feel free to send them on or off-list.  Looking forward to seeing you next summer.