GPSL forecast

Mark Conner N9XTN

For tomorrow morning, I think there will be a relative lull in activity.  A band of showers and thunderstorms will move across Iowa this morning and early afternoon (they're in Omaha now) but weaken as they do so.  Another round will fire up late today or overnight, but I expect most of it will move off to the east of Pella by dawn Saturday.  There may be lingering light showers and it should remain pretty cloudy and damp.  South winds of 7-12 mph expected at launch time, with 7am temps around 68-70 and about 80 by noon.

Later Saturday stronger thunderstorms are expected to fire up in western Iowa and move eastward though the afternoon and evening.  Main threat will be marginally severe hail and strong winds.  In the Pella area this should happen well after recovery is done.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it to Pella for the launches.  I'm starting to think about potential 2020 dates for hosting GPSL in Omaha.  The College World Series runs through Father's Day weekend, so we won't be able to have it then due to lack of hotel room availability (or, the rates are about 2x normal).  We could have it June 4-6 or July 9-11.  The June date would involve shorter corn for easier recoveries. :)